Help needed with aggressive dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to be the one to say it, and I'm probably going to be hammered for this, but he may need to be put down. In any case, you need to get him away from kids and strangers. Permanently. At best he's a lawsuit waiting to happen. At worst he'll end up putting some kid in the hospital. You might as well have a loaded and cocked gun laying around in the open.

You are dead on right. No dog is worth a killed or injured child. Put him down and find a friendlier dog to replace him.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a German shepherd mix that has an aggression problem. He is a rescue and he is usually pretty good with my wife (although she has to re-assert her dominance on a regular basis), and almost always with me, but he is very aggressive towards other people. The last straw was when he snarled at a niece and nephew of ours that are 3 and 1 ½. We have tried working with him, but I just don’t think we have the time to devote to him on a daily basis. I just can’t trust him and he ends up locked up whenever anyone comes over. If I were a hermit up in the hills this behavior would be fine, but with frequent visitors (mostly family) I can’t put up with it.

Anybody out there have any ideas / suggestions?

Speaking as a dog owner, but also a guy that got over 200 stitches in his face, a tear duct reconstructed, permanent nerve damage, almost lost his eyesight, and some teeth knocked out in the 3rd grade, when my best friend's dog that was overly aggressive ripped at my face, put the animal down if you are unable to control it. It used to just growl at me too. It is not worth it.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with these most recent posters. Put him down and let him go out with at least some dignity. Waiting until he seriously injures someone is a lose-lose for everyone, including the dog.

Someone may be able to "fix" him, but they would probably give you the same advice.

Sometimes you do the animal a favor by putting them down. Maybe you love him enough to do him that favor?

Not trying to give you a guilt trip, but do what you already know you really need to do. There is no shame in it.

royallbinky

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all for the support. He is at peace now; it will just take me some time to find my peace again. It is much better he went this way then after an incident that would left someone carrying scars for life.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sorry for your loss... you did the right thing.

recently had to put down my 12 year old German Shepherd.
he was my best buddy and a good dog... not an easy thing to do

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss, but I think you made the right decision. I've had to give the same advice you've received here, it's never easy.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all for the support. He is at peace now; it will just take me some time to find my peace again. It is much better he went this way then after an incident that would left someone carrying scars for life.

Yes, you did the right thing. Try not to carry any guilt about it. You did okay! It was the responsible thing to do.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope you can find some peace in the knowledge that you did every thing you could for him before coming to this decision, which I know you did not come to quickly or lightly. He left this world quickly, without suffering, knowing he was loved. What more can any of us ask for?

Latest posts

Top Bottom