Help with gas log fireplace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gottcha.

Same type of unit in my shop rescued from my parents home remodel. It sits idle all spring/summer, puts on the pilot, but no main flame.

Did this for a couple of years. Finally determined that I had to leave the gas on all year long to the regulator. There are some diaphragms in there that get hard or something, and don't open.
I know this is redneck, but whack it a few times and see if you can unseat the diaphragms. If not it might take a kit in the regulator.

Yea, I have an old john deere heater that does that, one day that thing is gonna quit..... 8)

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a gas valve problem or thermostat problem. If the pilot light stays lit then it is producing the required millivolts to keep it lit.

If it stays lit, then it has proved there is a flame. If there is no gas coming out to light the burner then the valve is not working.

The problem may be the thermostat has not sent a signal to open the gas valve or it has sent the signal but the gas valve is defective.
You need to follow the sequence of operations and find where the signal is being lost. Sometimes if it is an old manual thermostat, the anticipator in the thermostat has broken. That would be the really fine wire under the cover.

I still think it is a problem with the signal to the gas valve.Not the thermocouple.

No thermostat, just a switch with Off/On/Auto (auto is an option that wasn't purchased, guess you can hook a thermostat to it or a remote control per the manual). So if this solves the problem (for now). How should this device be treated during the spring/summer/fall months?

Latest posts

Top Bottom