SW OK/Lawton General Power Outage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta say, people are freaking nuts.
Apparently, a substation on the East side of Lawton burned last night/early this AM.
Not exactly sure of the complete outage, but it has been pretty large down here.

And it hasn't just affected Lawton.
I've heard that up to Elgin, Fletcher and Cyril have been out as well because of it.

This morning, at around 7:00AM, the schools decided to shut down because they didn't have power.
Texts went out to parents who were now having to scramble to decide: "work or kids" and since daycares were without power it was a defecation debacle.

Stores were shut down, restaurants, gas stations, etc.
Basically a preview to TEOTWAWKI/EMP scenario.

It was interesting to read on the local facebook pages and watch people freaking out.
People asking what gas stations were open cause they didn't have gas.
Finding out that the few places open were cash only, no cards.

Traffic lights were out but no real patterns that I could see.
And no stop signs out. Just dead lights.
People running thru intersections, jutting into traffic.
The amount of accidents was staggering.

People in general really freaking out.

And throughout the day, different areas were losing their power as they worked on the substation.

Apparently they are going to be doing rolling blackouts (supposedly for less than 3 hours at a time) throughout the night and tomorrow.

I've had a generator listed on Marketplace since June
the number of people contacting me today to buy it was incredible.
Yes, it is sold!!

I've seen the area lose power before, but there seemed to be a little something different today.
Especially when both WalMarts, Homelands, and Aldi were shut down.
Several restaurants that had backup generators ran dry of fuel (why they don't have natural gas feeds I don't know).

Interesting thing in my neighborhood is that I actually hear one other person with a generator!!!
That is new!!
Drove home thru the darkened neighborhood and only one home was lit!!
I'm on a different feed than they are so I haven't had to fire mine up.
Yet!!!

Point of all of this is that I can't imagine if this happened in a bigger city.

When they say were are less than 3 days without power from anarchy, I can really see it.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. I hopefully have things fixed where we would just be minorly inconvenienced. And I DARE any of my lazy-ass, bastard neighbors to come knock on my door. 😡 Back when I first got started prepping I was all "Oh I'll help anybody that needs it but especially my neighbors." Ok ... Sure -- now that I have been screwed over in one way or another by half of them I can say with the utmost confidence that those folks are gonna have to go bother somebody else because I will not be sharing anything but a bad attitude.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean.
Recently had a discussion with my SIL and he said some of his friends had said "Hey, if everything goes south, it's OK if we come to your place, right?"
He said what got him the most was that he had never really been asked the question directly before.
So we talked a bit.

I love it when everyone says "we're coming over to your place."

I say "what are you bringing to the party?"

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean.
Recently had a discussion with my SIL and he said some of his friends had said "Hey, if everything goes south, it's OK if we come to your place, right?"
He said what got him the most was that he had never really been asked the question directly before.
So we talked a bit.

I love it when everyone says "we're coming over to your place."

I say "what are you bringing to the party?"

HAHA! You are nicer than me. I say "No, no you aren't." You should see the looks I get! 😂😂😂😂

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OH and the hits just keep on coming.

This one is a good one.
So far, I've had three patients that "couldn't get their car out of the garage."
I mean really?????

Now, that being said...a lot of people use their garage door and opener to go in and out of the house.
I'm guilty of that.
When an unexpected power outage hits, it is important to have the front door keys available!!!!
Again, I've been guilty of that!!!
Did find an interesting work around.
Lowe's has this key kiosk called the "Minute Key" where you cut your own keys.
Door keys only it seems.
But...
One of the options is to cut a "virtual key"
So, once you cut your key, you can save the virtual key file and cut another key at another date without having a physical key!!
Don't know how networked the system is, but...
And some folks will say if the power is out at the house, it will be out at the store, but not always.
Anyway, interesting fall back option.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotta say, people are freaking nuts.
Apparently, a substation on the East side of Lawton burned last night/early this AM.
Not exactly sure of the complete outage, but it has been pretty large down here.

And it hasn't just affected Lawton.
I've heard that up to Elgin, Fletcher and Cyril have been out as well because of it.

This morning, at around 7:00AM, the schools decided to shut down because they didn't have power.
Texts went out to parents who were now having to scramble to decide: "work or kids" and since daycares were without power it was a defecation debacle.

Stores were shut down, restaurants, gas stations, etc.
Basically a preview to TEOTWAWKI/EMP scenario.

It was interesting to read on the local facebook pages and watch people freaking out.
People asking what gas stations were open cause they didn't have gas.
Finding out that the few places open were cash only, no cards.

Traffic lights were out but no real patterns that I could see.
And no stop signs out. Just dead lights.
People running thru intersections, jutting into traffic.
The amount of accidents was staggering.

People in general really freaking out.

And throughout the day, different areas were losing their power as they worked on the substation.

Apparently they are going to be doing rolling blackouts (supposedly for less than 3 hours at a time) throughout the night and tomorrow.

I've had a generator listed on Marketplace since June
the number of people contacting me today to buy it was incredible.
Yes, it is sold!!

I've seen the area lose power before, but there seemed to be a little something different today.
Especially when both WalMarts, Homelands, and Aldi were shut down.
Several restaurants that had backup generators ran dry of fuel (why they don't have natural gas feeds I don't know).

Interesting thing in my neighborhood is that I actually hear one other person with a generator!!!
That is new!!
Drove home thru the darkened neighborhood and only one home was lit!!
I'm on a different feed than they are so I haven't had to fire mine up.
Yet!!!

Point of all of this is that I can't imagine if this happened in a bigger city.

When they say were are less than 3 days without power from anarchy, I can really see it.
I find it amazing just how little it takes to create a PANIC!!! Just kill the power everywhere, and chaos takes over!! Can't wait until we are totally dependent on electric vehicles, including trucks, can you?

Latest posts

Top Bottom