Help with gas log fireplace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be my idea, but his is a ..ventless..gas fireplace.
Still good idea , but now you have to make a vent, some of those zero clearance vent systems are....well..'spensive
My gas log was vented so we were able to use that for the pellet stove but otherwise you simply cut a hole in the outside wall and use the required hardware to vent it.

My gas log is not on an outside wall, otherwise I am very interested. Is your gas log on the outside wall?
Out the roof is the only way if your not on an exterior wall. Very doable but more expensive to install. I heat my house (1800') with about $500 in pellets from Oct. till March. Its the only way to go IMO if you like a fire and dont want to spend a ton on gas. My gas log was propane and I emptied my 250 gal. tank pretty fast the first year. Propane is most expensive in the winter so that crap wasnt going to happen again. Now propane is only used to heat the water in my tankless heater and a tank last me 2 years and I refill in August.
This is the stove I have. They arent cheap but they are hi tech and tech cost money. ROI comes pretty fast
http://stcroixstoves.com/wood-pellet-stoves/pellet-insert-ashby-p

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you take a pic. I have a gas fire place also maybe there will be similarities.

Fireplace.jpg

I am definitely interested in switching this over to a pellet stove insert.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone here do this type of work? That is remove the NG Gas Log fireplace and install a pellet insert? I am interested in knowing how much it will cost.

The stove will cost $3-$4k. Install will run around $300-$400
Maybe you should consider a free standing pellet stove and vent it to an east or west exterior wall. I;m curios whats behind your GL stove? An insert will need some depth to insert into. A freestanding stove in a corner works really nice. They are well insulated and dont need much clearance from the wall.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe you should consider a free standing pellet stove and vent it to an east or west exterior wall. I;m curios whats behind your GL stove? An insert will need some depth to insert into. A freestanding stove in a corner works really nice. They are well insulated and dont need much clearance from the wall.

Watch the manufacturers install instructions....some req ..36" on sides, non-combustible flooring, and that it be vented with Theyre venting kits.....equals....$$$$$

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Behind it is a semi closet thing. There is a small door inside the closet that leads to a small space where you can stand and be behind the fireplace. I would need the vent to be run up through the roof also.

Not to crazy about the freestanding option as we have a toddler in the house and this space is already made for this. I am also going to mount the TV above the fireplace. The space behind the gas log provides a way to run the cables to the TV without them being seen.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watch the manufacturers install instructions....some req ..36" on sides, non-combustible flooring, and that it be vented with Theyre venting kits.....equals....$$$$$
The manufacturers instruction state 3" clearance on sides and enough in the rear to accommodate the exhaust pipe. You can touch the sides of the stove and it only feels warm. These arent hollow barrels with a fire in them, they are state of the art in wood heat. I would not set it on carpet though.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Behind it is a semi closet thing. There is a small door inside the closet that leads to a small space where you can stand and be behind the fireplace. I would need the vent to be run up through the roof also.

Not to crazy about the freestanding option as we have a toddler in the house and this space is already made for this. I am also going to mount the TV above the fireplace. The space behind the gas log provides a way to run the cables to the TV without them being seen.
Well just look and se if there is a dealer near you and they should be able to come look at what you want and take care of it. There are only about 3-4 places in the metro that deal in pellet stoves so in your area it may be hard to find one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom