Horrible Experience with Local Gun Shop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went in there with my son once. Several dudes in their talking. No one said a word to me or acted like they cared we were in there. Is there like a secret standard operating procedure for small gun shops to be rude or not greet customers and be friendly? Perhaps there is a secret club you have to be in to be noticed? Why open a business only to drive it into the ground by giving below average service? I have worked in sales before and while I am not fond of it, I always tried to greet people and ask questions to make them feel at home and show that I was interested. Even if I was busy with someone else, I would still stop and let them know that I would be with them shortly.

Oh well, no biggie!

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went in there with my son once. Several dudes in their talking. No one said a word to me or acted like they cared we were in there. Is there like a secret standard operating procedure for small gun shops to be rude or not greet customers and be friendly? Perhaps there is a secret club you have to be in to be noticed? Why open a business only to drive it into the ground by giving below average service? I have worked in sales before and while I am not fond of it, I always tried to greet people and ask questions to make them feel at home and show that I was interested. Even if I was busy with someone else, I would still stop and let them know that I would be with them shortly.

Oh well, no biggie!

Tax write off?

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't going to mention my first range experience with these guys BUT since I see I'm not alone I guess I'll toss it out there. Me and my buddies went to the range and my friend got over charged (by a longgg shot) I caught it right as he was about to pay up. I had to remind the cashier of his business' own fee schedule. He begrudgingly corrected his error.

The same guy was boasting to this poor lady (who looked like she couldnt escape the conversation) for a painful 15mins about how he used to be a hot shot super marksman in the army back in his day, every minute or so he would rack the slide of the pump shotgun that was beside him and aim somewhere into the distance as he looked down the barrel like a "badass".... unbelievable? I know but it happened unfortunately.

The whole place give me the old man creepy vibe anyway, so its either Everetts or Lexington for me.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One pretty quick way to kill a new small business if for it to become a "social club." This is most often seen in businesses where management has nothing invested in the enterprise. I have gone into bars where it was immediately clear than it was really not a public house at all, but a gathering place for one group.

Scary in bars, off-putting in a gun store. I do recall suggesting to the management there that they get familiar with OSA, and the response was not enthusiastic.

Still, Norman is so limited in gun stores and ranges that I'd like to see them succeed.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's tough to find a middle of the road gunshop anymore.
It seems they have mostly gone to the 2 extremes.
Either they completely ignore you and when you ask for help they seem uninterested in helping you.
Or they follow you around as soon as you come in the door, constantly asking if they can help you and making you feel like a shoplifter under constant surveillance.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, Sooner State Pawn gets all my FFL business. GREAT folks out there.
My wife just had a good transaction with SSP recently. She went in with just a list of my wants in a Mosin and the guy walked her through a look-over to make sure it was what she/I wanted and offered to do the same for others in the crate if she wanted. She was feeding me text messages to update me over here, so I told her not to bother with the others. The guy seemed straight forward to her and to me, from third person. I have no idea who he was, but I think I have a pic of him holding the gun so Jennifer could send me a picture. If a manager type wants to find out who he was and pat him on the back, shoot me an email and I'll see if I can dig it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom