How can you change the sights on a Kimber 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jre308

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have an older Kimber stainless classic. Has the original fixed sights. Bought a set of night sights and proceeded to try and change them out. Holy crap!!!!! Apparently they are placed with a 20 ton press. Could not move the front sight without destroying it. Started with a brass punch then tried a generic sight pusher. I would have snapped the front sight post off if I had not stopped. Any ideas how to change these out without sending to a gunsmith or Kimber?

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it blind-pinned in place from the inside of the slide? What about the rear sight? Also, some dovetails are directional, where one side is narrower than the other.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take it to a gunamith with the sights you want and pay them for the install. Theres lots of ways to do it but the best way requires expensive tools and a deft hand then lots more work. Ive done a lot of work on my own 1911s but I personally dont feel comfortable with sight installs, even on easier guns like glo,ks. Took it to honeybee to install my sights dont know if it was a fluke or skill on his part (I believe skill) but the sights were dead on from his shop. I read extensively on the process and it seems easy enough however I just did not want to risk it.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's like my CDP II, the front sight should be held in by friction only and the rear sight by friction and the set screw accessible from the top. Looking from the rear of the slight, both sights should slide out from left to right. Obviously installing in reverse order.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A method- Dremel or Foredom tool with thin abrasive cutoff wheel. Make careful horizontal passes through existing site base (Pick a low/ easy spot) until very close to through the sight. Then, with magnafying glasses and a delicate touch, make additional passes until the center of the cut penetrates, continue gently and expand the cut until complete.

Takes a delicate hand and 15 minutes. Yes, theres a risk of putting a grind mark in your slide. Worked fine for me, YMMV.

If you end up taking it to a Gunsmith, take it to one that has experience with Kimber sights. As you know, they're in there very tight.

jre308

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rear sight came off, no problem. Front sight is the issue. Have change out glock sights with a pusher, no problem. Adjusted and changed various rifle sights before, but nothing was in this tight. This Kimber front sight is like no other.

Latest posts

Top Bottom