how did your opening weekend go

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw 4 does,no bucks Friday morning,didn't get to hunt that evening.The oldest doe put on a good show,she stood on her back legs and knocked the ever lovin snot out of a younger doe three times then finally chased her away.Absolute beautiful day.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My opening weekend isnt over yet, but good so far, saw 3 does just out of range and in the thick brush..

I heard of two 150"+ deer taken today.. Waiting on some pics!!

Hunting an oak flat in the morning where they're droppin should be good, look out slickheads!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent the day at work wussing around in a depression. Boss finally asked me what was wrong....told him problem was, I belonged in the stand and not at work....he told me to get the hell out of dodge:D:D:D:w000t:

Left at 1630 hrs, and was in the stand by 1730.

Walked up to the clear cut where my stand is, and saw 20 or so turkey milling around. I just stepped into it slowly, and they just walked off, not flushing. I'm thinking another turkey with the bow this fall:D
Not five minutes into the stand, this young buck walked by and got to 10 yds.
He got a pass, as he should.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunted till 10:30 this morning and didn't see a thing besides squirrels and a turtle. too hot fo rme to hunt this evening but will be back out in the morning! hoping for at least a Hog.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had bout 3 does and 3-4 yearlings come in behind me this evening, couple of them got within 10 yards or so both in front of me and behind me. Probably should have shot one of the bigger does, but didn't want to track one in the dark. This is my first year to bow hunt, but I figure I'll get another chance at a doe or two where I'm hunting. Question I have is, if I shoot one in the evening right now, will it be alright to hang one up overnight, or is it too warm- I don't want to lose the meat for sure? Any opinions welcome, thanks.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
trappercb,

I wouldn't leave it hanging unless you plan to use lots of BBQ and hot sauce to cover up the taste, it is still to warm to do that. Bone her out and put her on ice and she'll be good to go.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had bout 3 does and 3-4 yearlings come in behind me this evening, couple of them got within 10 yards or so both in front of me and behind me. Probably should have shot one of the bigger does, but didn't want to track one in the dark. This is my first year to bow hunt, but I figure I'll get another chance at a doe or two where I'm hunting. Question I have is, if I shoot one in the evening right now, will it be alright to hang one up overnight, or is it too warm- I don't want to lose the meat for sure? Any opinions welcome, thanks.

Field dress, hang head down, stuff cavity full of ice, tie a bag of ice between the hams, do not skin. Been doing it this way for years and have never had any problem with meat spoilage.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Field dress, hang head down, stuff cavity full of ice, tie a bag of ice between the hams, do not skin. Been doing it this way for years and have never had any problem with meat spoilage.

Pretty much the same here, but I do put then on the ground on a tarp with legs up, and pack ice in the cavity, and all around the outside of the animal, and pull the tarp over the top to keep fly's off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom