How many backup mags do you carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like your style sir. When the rioting really heated, a handgun was usually accompanied with heavier artillery in the vehicle, I didn’t anticipate Yukon or cAndian county being invaded (crossed my fingers they would) but always better safe than sorry, that stuff can pop off anywhere anytime, I I would rather have some serious heat besides a handgun when it does. Btw, the 4 mags was a joke, all handguns I carry will have backup mags of substance. If I carry a g29c it’s second mag is a 15rd g20 mag, if cz, those do get high capacity lol and typically start with 17-21 more or less
Yeah, at the time my now fiancé was living just a mile or two from the worst of it. Had to go to her house twice to get the weenie dog and some belongings while she was at work, so she didn’t have to be in the area after work and just come straight to my place. I was also going back and forth between working near Dallas and building fences around OKC. Figured it’s better to be safe, rather than sorry. I’m also far better with a rifle than I am with a handgun, so I follow the practice of “a handgun is just to fight your way back to your rifle if things get ugly”.

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people think carrying an extra mag is for the extra rounds, which it is. But it's also handy to have one in case of a malfunction or if, under stress, you accidentally drop the mag from your pistol in the dark.

That brings up the conversation about carrying a flashlight. How many of you carry one of those on a daily basis? Most guys will say, "well, I rarely go out at night..." hey, God love ya for that, but have you ever been in the back of your local grocery store or Walmart when the power has gone out? It's darker than the inside of an ape's ass! I consider a good flashlight (Surefire, Streamlight, Olight - pick one) to be just as important (maybe more so) than a backup mag.

Are you ready?
I bought a streamlight wedge for edc. Find myself using it on a daily basis. Don't even know it's in my pocket, till I need it. Best $71 I've spent.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since flashlights were mentioned.

I carry an OLIGHT mini 2, also works as a fist load and DNA collector with a blinding 1750 lumens. I am rarely without a flashlight. Also, I have little use for a light being used with a pistol outside the home. I have no plans to hunt for bad guys in the dark, or the light for that matter. If bad guys are around I will make every effort to be somewhere else. As a stand alone LTL personal defense weapon that can be taken anywhere with no notice a small flashlight works well.

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a streamlight wedge for edc. Find myself using it on a daily basis. Don't even know it's in my pocket, till I need it. Best $71 I've spent.

I considered one of those, but I personally use the old Harries technique when using a light with my firearm, so I need a tailcap switch. Plus, I don't like rechargeable flashlights.

But for the average Joe that pays attention to his/her EDC, the Streamlight Wedge seems to be an excellent torch with an excellent design. Good on you for getting one and making it a part of your EDC.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought about one of those for the wife and one for myself as just a backup light source. I have a little Fenix E05 on my keys, but I'm not a fan of the twisty head types of lights.
I was trying to remember which model keyring light I have so I pulled out my keyring and had to use my phone to read the label (it's a Fenix EO5R.) Then I checked and discovered that the battery had run out! It's on the charger now.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually carry a Glock 26. Spare mag or two stays in the truck. But honestly I usually don’t actually carry a spare mag on me.

I figure being a civilian, and generally trying to stay away from shady situations, if my 10+1 in my 26 won’t cut it then it’s probably just time to run anyway lol

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people think carrying an extra mag is for the extra rounds, which it is. But it's also handy to have one in case of a malfunction or if, under stress, you accidentally drop the mag from your pistol in the dark.

That brings up the conversation about carrying a flashlight. How many of you carry one of those on a daily basis? Most guys will say, "well, I rarely go out at night..." hey, God love ya for that, but have you ever been in the back of your local grocery store or Walmart when the power has gone out? It's darker than the inside of an ape's ass! I consider a good flashlight (Surefire, Streamlight, Olight - pick one) to be just as important (maybe more so) than a backup mag.

Are you ready?
You damn straight! My Surefire 6P was on my belt on permanent day shift. Like you said, ever walk into a local bar or nightclub during the day? Search for a feral cat in a garage? Look inside culverts under bridges for suspects?

The rechargeable Stinger in the car was great until it wasn't and the old Kel light was just that, old technology. But you could drop it and it would still work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom