how much to spend on a 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent about $900 on a new Colt Combat Elite. Unfortunately, the recoil guide spring was bent and would cause the slide to lock back at times. I replaced the spring (a few bucks) and it seems to have fixed the problem. Other than that, there haven't been any problems in a few hundred rounds. I was disappointed because I had to replace the spring, but really it's a great gun, in my opinion.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My personal experience with 1911 pistols. (results may vary)

LLama 1911- $325 (slightly used)
had problems feeding EVERY mag

Springfield 9mm 1911- $450 (very used)
4-5000 rds with no FTF or FTE, very good shooter

Springfield GI 1911- $400 (very used)
3000 rounds fired, 2 FTE with worn extractor, part replaced no more problems

Colt Gold Cup- $300 (I lucked into this one, LNIB)
10,000 + rounds, I have 1 mag that causes problems, no other issues.

I'd say a feller would be safe with a sub $1400 1911 IMHO.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My carry gun.... a $600 Colt Series 80 IV gun. Bought new in the box around 2003. This particular gun was won in a Gun Club 50/50 raffle and promptly traded for a shot gun at one of my local gun dealers, then sold to me.

Problems?... the usual "break-in" issues one sees with a new 1911 pistol....I shot this one with little cleaning... and lots of lubrication for about 200 rounds and the odd failure to feed issues went away. Around the 500 round mark (daily carry and the occasssional match or training session) we did a little feed ramp work and de-burred anything that should be shiney but wasn't yet).

So...$650 in... for a gun that seems to be worth over $700 on the used market (tagged used retail) seems like a pretty good deal.

Learnings/ advice to share... buy the best frame and slide you can. Forged parts will usually be worth more over the long haul compared to cast or MIM... and if you invest in a good foundation gun... trading or upgrading makes sense if you really want to do such a thing later.
There is not a "problem" on a good 1911 that cannot be fixed or improved... and if you invested in a good quality frame and slide.. fixes or improvements are an investment and not just "repairs".

I did own a West Hurley Auto Ordinance 1911 (all surplus parts) and got more that what I paid for trading stock value.
I don't think you can go wrong with any good 1911... if you buy good "bones"

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a new Springfield RO for $675 off of GunBroker a few weeks ago. You would be crazy to spend $600 on a GI. I bought a used SS GI off of the classifieds a few months back for $450.

Latest posts

Top Bottom