I done a bad, bad thing....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome, I'd never even heard of such a thing. Know of any local sources? it's a 14x1mm left hand thread, don't know if that matters or not.
Steve's Wholesale Tools is usually a good source. At least, they used to be; they were like Harbor Freight, except they carried "real" tools, but I haven't been up there in quite some time.

Edit: Here's a link to their "Locations" page: https://www.steveswholesaletools.com/pages/locations.html

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like O'Reillys has em, I'll pick one up on the way home. I'll be picking up some anti-seize too, this moly-grease I've been using isn't working out so good...lol. Thanks guys!

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so, lesson learned, don't trust websites. Went to O'Reilly's and Advance Auto, and neither had them. Looks like I'll just order a file off Amazon.

I bought some anti-seize while at O'Reilly's, but it had copper in it and was thick as molasses so I didn't trust it. Used the moly lube and got it on a couple mm away from perfect before it siezed up again...dammit...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so, lesson learned, don't trust websites. Went to O'Reilly's and Advance Auto, and neither had them. Looks like I'll just order a file off Amazon.

I bought some anti-seize while at O'Reilly's, but it had copper in it and was thick as molasses so I didn't trust it. Used the moly lube and got it on a couple mm away from perfect before it siezed up again...dammit...

I've taken pipe connection apart that are 30 years old that have been treated with anti-seize subjected to 2350 degrees F heat . You made a major mistake not trusting it.

Before you do this again, post up what you want to do.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've taken pipe connection apart that are 30 years old that have been treated with anti-seize subjected to 2350 degrees F heat . You made a major mistake not trusting it.

Before you do this again, post up what you want to do.

Yeah, I was discouraged from using it because it had a "THIS IS NOT A LUBE" warning, so I figured it was mostly for keeping parts that already fit together from sticking. My approach so far has been hammer on til it stops, hammer it back off, file/sand/polish, repeat. It's worked for all the other pieces so far, the front sight just seems particularly tight for some reason.

Danwm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
n8thegrB is correct, O'Reillys have the files. But if they don't you can use a small 3 corner file and get it very close. Be sure to use thread lube. "TAKE YOUR TIME"

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do this.
A 3 cornered file will not match the thread pitch.
Thats correct, it won't match perfectly, 55 degree, thread. 60 degree file, but 40+ years of expereince, (tool&die,machineshop,+guns) says it will work. Also the thread pattern on a mauser is the same deal, 55 degrees on the receiver, but the barrel threads are USUALLY, cut at 60 degrees. Finally I own them and have used them, but I have not had a great deal of success with thread files. the actual best way to do it would be to set it up in a lathe, set the correct pitch, and use the lead screw to chase the threads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom