I have an idea ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been doing the same as you with my shelter buckets, I have made the buckets into my seating in the shelter actually. So far we have an emergency supply bucket, food/water bucket, slop bucket, blanket buckets and each has a personal bucket with a couple of changes of clothes. I am still needing to cut some foam to make a pistol/mag/ammo bucket where I just have to load the bucket with weapons on the bad days (think layers)

The only thing I did different is there is a great little thrift store on the back side of lumber liquidators, on Reno and meridian. So far we only have about 3 days of clothes for each of us but that 3 days for 3 people ran us under $20, that is excluding socks and undies because that is just icky.

On a side note my wife packed herself some feminine hygiene stuffs and her basic makeup/ toiletries. I did the same but added a little of my jueveos dont chafe stuff and junk. I figure if all goes bad I will probably be working pretty hard and walking funny won't do.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh and I also added work boots to each of our preps. My wife basically lives in flip flops and I live in socks, Those would both be poor choices of foot ware if that was all we came back up out of the ground with.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ohhhh ... I knew I could count on y'all ... There are some good ideas up there ... I didn't think of work boots, per se, but that might be better than tennis shoes because if I've had to "grab and go" to keep from being here when the house blows down, I'm probably gonna have some serious work to do when I make it back. Tennis shoes probably wouldn't be the best footwear for that ...

I'm also thinking I might need to stash some cash in each of them, and a credit card (lots of hotels won't let you check in without one anymore).

I appreciate having y'all to bounce ideas off of. GC just says "Whatever you want to do is fine, dear" ... :D

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NAS is network available storage. Basically a hard drive in your home you can access from anywhere on your network, or with the right setup, anywhere online.
Technically, it's Network Attached Storage (as opposed to DAS--Direct Attached Storage--like SATA and USB drives), but that's the general idea. It's essentially a specialized server that's dedicated to file storage.

The best backup model I've heard to date is the "3-2-1" model. You have the original plus two copies (3), on two different types of media (2), with one off-site (1). F'rinstance, you have a spreadsheet on your computer, plus a copy on a USB-connected hard drive that stays in your desk at home and another copy on a USB flash drive that you keep in your desk at work. You could also stay with that model if you used a USB drive for your local backups and a backup service (like Carbonite) to do automatic offsite backups.

One thing I'd suggest is encrypting your main and backup drives. I use TrueCrypt to do "whole disk" encryption on my personal laptop's drive as well as on a few USB drives (both flash and rotating media). My work computer's drive is Bitlockered because TrueCrypt doesn't have a real key escrow system, which is kind of important--if something happens to me, my boss needs to be able to access my computer's drive...

If you're really paranoid, you could buy an IronKey USB drive for your backups.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ohhhh ... I knew I could count on y'all ... There are some good ideas up there ... I didn't think of work boots, per se, but that might be better than tennis shoes because if I've had to "grab and go" to keep from being here when the house blows down, I'm probably gonna have some serious work to do when I make it back. Tennis shoes probably wouldn't be the best footwear for that ...

I'm also thinking I might need to stash some cash in each of them, and a credit card (lots of hotels won't let you check in without one anymore).

I appreciate having y'all to bounce ideas off of. GC just says "Whatever you want to do is fine, dear" ... :D

If you can, a couple of uniforms for GC might come in handy. Of course after his comment you might die them pink first. :D :D

Last edited:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Toss in some basic hygene items. toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant, toilet paper, aleve,pepto tablets, tums, dedicate a pills of each of your script meds and make up a small stash, few days worth. doulbe the socks in there. 2-3 pair for each set of clothes. one of each fork, knife and spoon. one metal cup/bowl combo. one metal plate, couple of cheap bic lighters. then, at last, each should have a small first aid kit.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a good idea BadgeBunny, Only suggestion i have is instead of jeans i would use something like Red Kap uniform pants. I prefer to wear jeans when at home and not working. These uniform pants have been durable, lightweight, dry much faster than a pair of cheap cotton jeans. I keep a new pair in my poor excuse for a grab bag.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple little rainslickers or ponchos. Also some of those chemical heat/cold packs. It's amazing how cold you can get working in the rain at night, even in the summertime. They're compact and lightweight. And chemical glowsticks. Flashlights and batteries.

And... and... and...

Your little medium totes is gonna be some major storage containers soon. :/

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated above; I believe the 1 must have item in 'bag' is CASH.

We each keep a bucket in the cellar with seasonal work clothes and 'personal' items. Along with 1911 and 100 rounds. A bucket with bottles of water and food / snacks. An ammo box (water tight) contains the drives with pics of household and important serial numbers and account numbers, flashlight, batteries, hand crank radio and a solar charger that works for cell phones, too.

A suitcase on wheels is at the bedroom door with clothes (season specific), firearms / ammo, and backup drive. Easy to grab and roll out.

Flashlights, hand crank radio, basic tool bag stay in the vehicle, at all times, along with tank at least half full, never less.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is NSA?

What you probably meant to ask is "What is NAS"

Network attached storage. In a nutshell it's a harddrive storage unit that is attached to your computers network instead of being inside your computer.
It could be anywhere in the house including inside a safe and still do it's job of backing up your information automatically or manually.

Latest posts

Top Bottom