I miss the check stations...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I miss the ones we had as a kids, they were open during the appropriate times and sold grape and peach Nehi lol. I don't miss them at all now up here. They closed at dark, and were closed on holidays.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The check stations were a big pain when you recovered a deer late in the evening and had a small drive to get to one. When you got home after no check station found to be open most hunters that butchered their own would just not check in. Especially when the next day was a work day or something. But for the most part I miss them too.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple times, I've had to drive to three check stations in Alfalfa county to find one open. I'm loving the online check in (and buying my licenses online too).

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Ours was real easy. Crescent ok. Mr Kim's was open early and late. Only thing that ever pissed me off was that someone was always stealing the scales!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The check stations were a big pain when you recovered a deer late in the evening and had a small drive to get to one. When you got home after no check station found to be open most hunters that butchered their own would just not check in. Especially when the next day was a work day or something. But for the most part I miss them too.

It was a ROYAL PITA if you got one down on Sunday evening and had to drive around Atoka county to find one open before driving 160 miles back to OKC because you had to work the next morning.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I loved them for the reasons stated above. People would bring out their family's to watch the deer come in. It was always exciting to see a pickup pull in with a lot of antler sticking out of the bed. Folks would come from all over the parking lot to see the biggun.
Yeah, it got to be a pain at times, but I do miss them for nostalgics sake.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I would stop by on my way to the stand to look at the book. Helped me pattern the rut in our area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom