I miss the check stations...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I miss 'em, too. I got to see people there that I generally didn't see any other time of year. It was always interesting to see what else had been checked in, how many had been checked in, etc. I can only remember one time that we couldn't find a check station open in the immediate area, so we brought it back to Enid to check it in.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I miss 'em, too. I got to see people there that I generally didn't see any other time of year. It was always interesting to see what else had been checked in, how many had been checked in, etc. I can only remember one time that we couldn't find a check station open in the immediate area, so we brought it back to Enid to check it in.

In the late 90's IIRC, Enid Fire Station 1 closed it's check station at 5:30pm.........on the first day of rifle season.........because the OU game started at 6pm. That didn't go over very well.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't kill a deer until the third hunting season .. really glad I didn't give up ..
yep we used to go by the check in station at Pawhuska fire station
I grew up in Alabama and Georgia where rifle season was 2+ months long and you could shoot 2 deer a day all season, with family that owned land. We moved here and I had to figure out bow hunting and public land. Talk about a rough learning experience.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I grew up in Alabama and Georgia where rifle season was 2+ months long and you could shoot 2 deer a day all season, with family that owned land. We moved here and I had to figure out bow hunting and public land. Talk about a rough learning experience.

I hated the check stations and the concept in general. They were a cesspool of idiots who shot their forkie and then hung around the chains talkin about the booner they missed. The crowd was redneck , think nascar in camo. The worst was the nescatunga one. The whole concept made liars and thieves out of honest hunters who retrieved their game late on a Sunday night and burnt $10 and two hours looking for an open stations to no avail. These deer never got checked in.

Best was the ones where they handed the book over on honor system. I remember seeing the redneck mafia kids checking in 140# field dressed doe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom