I need a scope recommendation (Rifle 1)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Santa brought me a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308. I wanted a 308 because I have an AR10 as well. I'm looking at a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22. The only scope I have that is comparable is a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 6.5-20 on my M82A1. I'm thinking a Larue mount for the RMR (I don't think there is a better mount IMO). My top end on the glass is $1500-$2000. Maybe the Vortex Pst on the lower end? Anyways, IDK what I want to put on this "Precision rifle". My buddy has a Nightforce ATACR 5-25 and that is sweet, but above my price range. Any input.

Dane

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27X56. I have 2 ordered. That's the only problem with them: they are on constant back order and it's about a 9 month wait.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really don't have too much time running a Nightforce, but have many friends that are running BEASTS and ATACR F1s very happily. I have ran Vortex HD, Bushnell XRS, Kahles 624i and a few other scopes similar to those mentioned. All were great while I had them and I would recommend the Bushnell or Kahles everyday. If you can save up a few pennies I would pickup a Kahles. I have been running the K624i AMR and am extremely pleased with its performance. The Bushnell XRS was a strong scope and I loved running it as well. Your best option would be to wait until after shot show to see if something new catches your eye or pickup something second hand for a good price.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will the rifle put out groups worth 2K of glass? I'd throw a 6x24x50 vortex viper on it before I spent a lot of cash on a average shooter. But I'm not certain what it will do

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When spending 1700 or more, there's not much difference between the nxs and atacr. Personally I always regret not spending the extra $$ in the first place to get what I want rather than selling what I don't need, loosing some $$ to get what I wanted in the first place.

If you shop around, the gen 2 razor would be just out of your price range. Save some money on the rings and go Vortex, they're good as any and priced right. Will help bridge the gap and get the job done with no downfalls.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of nightforce and they are nice scopes. Tank tough but the optical quality for the money leaves a little to be desired really. The razor vortex are nice. Kahles 624 are phenomenal older premier are my favorite "tactical" scopes. They're no longer made tangent theta took them over. Zeiss and Swarovski make higher magnification "tactical" models as well although they'd all be slightly out of your budget. I've bought used on several and wouldn't hesitate to do so agin. The Swarovski 5-30x50 and the kahles 6-24 are excellent choices. But more than 2k honestly though for the casual shooter nightforce are good options. I really like my 3.5-15-50 that's atop my surgeon build. I'd really like one of the kahles just haven't been able to justify the expense.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom