Identity Theft/Consumer Fraud, who here has been a victim?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SoonerDVM: You should be able to fax the affidavit or police report to Target/Walmart and their check clearing company and have them clear your name out of the system... but then again, who uses checks anymore?

That's exactly why I gave up fighting it. I don't even carry checks anymore.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have had cards compromised on a few occasions; all caught and handled by my card company. Some I have no idea how or when, three I'm certain of - one from a gasoline purchase at a local convenience store, and two from paying for lunch at two different local restaurants.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had the CC on file at WalMart compromised. Someone hacked in and ordered about 2K in electronics. What they forgot to do was change the email address that confirmation was sent to. I started getting the confirmation emails. Went on line and checked, none had been shipped. I cancelled them all and then called the CC company.

Had a waitress/bartender combo take a CC number at a local restaurant. Got a call from the CC company one Saturday AM asking if I had purchased 4 tickets to a concert totaling something like 1600 bucks. Told them "No" and they declined the charges.

Had my daughter's car broken into and they took her purse and ATM card. I'd imagine she had the PIN written somewhere as they started hitting cash machines and got over 2000 dollars in cash. A significant overdraft of her account. I raised hell with the bank and asked how that could happen. Well, it turned out that her card was linked to my accounts and the bank had given me a daily cash withdrawal amount equal to my account balance instead of the standard $150 dollars in cash per day limit. The bank took care of that one and we all learned an important lesson.

Went to Sams to get gas. I misread the prompt. It kept saying "Receipt printer is out of paper. Do you want to proceed." So, I said "no" and moved to the next pump. Same thing. Got this three times in a row before getting gas. So I had swiped my card at a gas pump in the same station 4 times. By the time I drove the 1.5 miles to my house, I had a message on the answering machine from the company that they had frozen my card due to some unusual activity. I called them and explained my stupidity. They said that the first place most stolen cards are used is at the gas pump to fill up everybody's tank.

Dave

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never had a CC number or checking account compromised, but I have on several occasions had people try to charge items with my company name at electrical supply houses. They get the name off the side of the van and randomly try at the different supply houses. Each time I would get a call from whichever supply house asking me if it was ok if one of my guys charged a bunch of testers or whatever to my account (there are only 2 people who are authorized to charge stuff on my accounts). The people would usually leave while they were making the call to me. Never got any tag numbers from the counter guys.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
N'yet. But am taking notes for when it does happen cause I figure no matter how smart or diligent you are almost everyone is going to experience it at least once in their lifetime with the techno thieves getting trickier.

(via Tapatalk)

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Knock on wood so far i have been lucky even thou once wife had to take a 250 mile trip to see a doctor and had 4 charges on my debit card shortly after she got home the back called to check if i had used the card in certain locations since it was out of the ordanary cause i usually only use it locally.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My credit card number got stolen 2 different times within months of each other. I never found out if anyone was prosecuted but the common thing with the credit card numbers was both were capital one visa cards. I closed the account after the second time and it hasnt happened again. Coincidence, I dont know but it hasnt happened again.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had two or three CC numbers compromised. My CC company is pretty aggressive on detecting fraud, so it's never cost us anything and I don't think any of the thieves have gotten more than two charges on them before it gets locked. It's a PITA to get a new card issued, change all the auto-pays over to the new number, etc.

The last time it was after a work trip. I was really pissed. So I called a company out of Utah where a $754 order for some liquid elixir crap was placed. I "social engineered" the company into cancelling the order, cancelling the account and giving me every bit of information they had on the fraudster, who was out of Miami, FL where I had traveled. I filed a police report with the PD local to the Utah company. Then I filed a report on ic3.gov. Not yet satisfied, I got a local contact to give me a personal POC at the FBI Fraud Unit in Miami and forwarded all the information to him. I have no idea whether they were ever able to do anything with her, but I sure as hell hope I at least ruined her day. If nothing else, it made me feel better that I had done everything I could! :mad:

Latest posts

Top Bottom