If I hear "Okie State" one more time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Remember when it was a bad thing to be called a redneck? It's time has passed and now we backwoods country folk wear them like a badge of honor. If it keeps the Cali and New Yorkers out I don't care what they call us...

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why does the CBS commentator keep calling OSU. Okie State?

That is disrespectful to the whole state. Doesn't he know that the Okies left Oklahoma in the 30's

The answer is, almost certainly not.

I thought I was the last person in the state who doesn't like the term "okie."

However, we seem to be stuck with the term, and in fairness, very few realize where the term came from or that anyone is offended by it.

I work with someone who has never lived outside OKC, and makes noises like a proud Oklahoman, but calls herself an okie. After fifteen or twenty comments from me about it being an offensive term, I have given up.

I expect a bunch of responses to this thread saying, in various ways, "get over it," and that may be what we should do.

We do have okies here, and have had more and more since the Silicon Valley crash a number of years ago. That's an okie who came back from California.

They say those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it. Considering most of what is coming out of our public schools these days, and for the last good many years, the first time some of them even knew of the Great Depression was when it was being compared to what somebody recently called the "Great Recession."

I love Oklahoma. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom