IHOP @ 7708 NW Exp posted no weapons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We eat there frequently and this morning noticed what must be a new sign.

I sent an email through the site and got an auto reply that said a copy will be forwarded to the local store management.

Anyone know if the other IHOPs in town are posted?

Anyone who would care to send a letter or email, here's the link to their site: http://ihop.com/

mythreal

Marksman
Reaction score
Our local feed store has recently put the no weapons sign at their place. We will no longer give them our business. We went into another store yesterday that had posted "no open carry" but conceal carry with proper license is ok. We will continue to give them our business. We will not do business with anyone posting the no weapon sign.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got the following email reply from the local IHOP manager:

I really do appreciate that you have been coming to IHOP

My name is ---- ------- and I am the franchisee for this location. I wanted personally to reply to your concern regarding the sign on the door. If we knew that all our customers are responsible and mature like you then it would not be a problem. Since the open carry law passed we have had a few incidents with guests as young as early 20's walking in with licensed guns and showing them off to their friends, some but not all had been drinking. That really scared a lot of the waitstaff and some of the guests were offended. As you know we are a 24 hour restaurant and we get a lot of drunk people coming in late night and would prefer they not be carrying a weapon.

The sign we have posted is no different than the sign posted on state and federal building who Past the Gun law. as well as some bars, banks, Airports and other business. I understand this issue has a political side to it but honestly that is not my motivation. I just want to make sure that no accidents happen and that my guests and employees are safe. If you walked into the restaurant with a gun in your pocket no one is going to search you anyway but for the legal side of it this hopefully it will protect me. I would hope you change your mind and I hope you would allow me to meet you at the restaurant at your convenience. "

I sent the following to his reply:

"Thank you for replying so quickly.

It really saddens me to hear about the behavior you describe.
In the training required to get a license it's made clear that you are not allowed to carry a firearm while drinking. I can certainly understand how you and your employees were uncomfortable with this.

Some businesses have decided to put up signs saying "no open carry allowed"; I understand Chelinos has done this.
Perhaps this would be a solution for you?

Since I and others like me don't want to break the law and possibly loose our license just to eat a meal, I won't be able to eat at IHOP as long as the sign is posted.

Hopefully the "no open carry allowed" option will be an option.

Thanks again for considering this,"

DOH! Just noticed "option will be an option",,,,,,duh.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now I'm thinking maybe I should have suggested the people he describes were brandishing and he should have called the cops on the morons.

Edit:

Just sent the follow up email to the IHOP manager:

"Second thoughts; I believe the behavior you described might be called brandishing a weapon and perhaps next time you should call the police. Especially if alcohol is involved.

If these people were licensed they should have them revoked."

ttownokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now I'm thinking maybe I should have suggested the people he describes were brandishing and he should have called the cops on the morons.

Edit:

Just sent the follow up email to the IHOP manager:

"Second thoughts; I believe the behavior you described might be called brandishing a weapon and perhaps next time you should call the police. Especially if alcohol is involved.

If these people were licensed they should have them revoked."

although i disagree with his premise, i must say that is about the most classiest response I have seen from a store owner. You should tell him that if he does have incidents with drunk people open carrying then he should call the police.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda wish you wouldn't go straight to "no open carry" like that. I can't help but feel that you are trashing our efforts to fight for everyone's right to carry as they see fit, for your own convenience. Open carry is a definite deterrent against criminal behavior.

I do agree that if in fact drunk people are carrying in the restaurant, or if anyone is handling a weapon in the store, the police need to be called. I'm skeptical about his claims, though.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do agree that if in fact drunk people are carrying in the restaurant, or if anyone is handling a weapon in the store, the police need to be called. I'm skeptical about his claims, though.

This was the reason I was given at Buffalo Wild Wings, "it get's kinda rowdy in here, and we don't want people that are drinking to have guns". He was a little surprised when I cited the law for him, and suggested that if they saw some one carrying, and drinking, the police should be called immediately. . He was just a manager, but he said he would talk to the owners about the issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom