In all honesty this breaks my heart ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I kind of thought that was inappropriate also.
I mean this is one of his supporters talking to him.
Not sure if it was arrogance or ignorance.

My kids used to do that when they were teenagers ... anytime I had them dead to rights ... I kinda think it was nervousness as well as arrogance. What he really wanted to say to her was "whatever" and move on to the next question. Besides he is not good without his teleprompter ... :contract:

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are worse off because of the stimulus, IMO. The man spends money we don't have. Its like a 17 year old with a credit card. A friend of mine told me the other day he read an article about how bad its been. We have had 44 presidents total. Presidents 1-43 the national deficit/debt was at 6 trillion. 1-44, the debt totals 9 trillion dollars. Kinda makes ya think. One man has increased the debt by 1/3 of the total

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how in the world would an educated person such as yourself, possibly think if nothing was done with the world's economy at the edge of collapse. be better off without intervention.

don't get me wrong... I'm not happy with Obama either and have got stimulus fatigue like everyone else.

again, like everyone else ... I've got hindsight and it's quite easy to say...after the initial help, the stimulus was over done.

let's say you were at the controls.... which is better to over do it or under do it?
with stakes being total melt down of world's economy.

FACT.... we are better off being in a slow recovery mode, which could last years vs in a total collapse another 1929 style great depression

Things wouldn't have been worse without the stimulus.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how in the world would an educated person such as yourself, possibly think if nothing was done with the world's economy at the edge of collapse. be better off without intervention.

don't get me wrong... I've got stimulus fatigue like everyone else.
like everyone ... I've got hindsight and it's quite easy to say...after the initial help, the stimulus was over done.

let's say you were at the controls.... which is better to over do it or under do it?
with stakes being, total melt down of world's economy.

FACT.... we are better off being in a slow recovery mode, which could last years vs in a total collapse another 1929 style great depression

You are assuming: 1) that the world economy was really at the edge of collapse and 2) that we are in a slow recovery.

The question is, how long are our children going to pay for the "stimulus" and what will the true cost be??

Did we compromise our children's futures so that we wouldn't have to face the problems before us??

Rajder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

don't get me wrong... I'm not happy with Obama either and have got stimulus fatigue like everyone else.

again, like everyone else ... I've got hindsight and it's quite easy to say...after the initial help, the stimulus was over done.

with stakes being total melt down of world's economy.

What people fail to realize is that if we would have elected McCain president then he would have implemented a stimulus package as well. It may not have been as large and it probably would have been spent of different things but there defenitely would have been a stimulus package and it would have been just as unsuccessful as this one. And there would have been a bank bailout just the same (lets not forget that the bank bailouts were started by the Bush administration and most of McCain's team were Bush people).

So no matter if Obama was president or McCain was president there would have been a bank bailout and a stimulus package. You can defenitely argue about what the stimulus spent money on (like Obama's "green" projects, etc) not actually helping the economy and the excess waste of money. I will reluctantly give Obama credit for saving GM. As much as I hate the government intervention I know that keeping GM a viable company saved a ton of jobs, not only in GM but in their suppliers as well. And GM seems to be a pretty profitable company today so that seems like a success. Now, the rest of the stimulus package, bank bailouts, healthcare reform, etc,......

Well, I guess 1 out of 4 aint bad? :(

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We won't even know how much of a *negative* impact the stimulus had until years down the road when we decide to financially straighten out the national debt.

This is like fixing your car using the credit card. It feels good in the short term because your car is fixed, but eventually you'll have to pay off that credit card.

At best, the stimulus held off the financial "day of reckoning" for the US a couple years. It's coming...and getting worse by the day.

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder though, as he was talking, if she was thinking to herself that the items he pointed out had minimal bearing on her family...

i.e. We use savings for retirement, our kids are healthy with no pre-existing conidtions, we know how they'll pay for school.

I still don't think the whole 'entitlement' mentality is good. Everyone deserves an equal chance at success, but beyond that, it should be up to you to work hard and make it. If you fail, here's a helping hand to get back into life, but saying, we're going to boost everyone up just because they're not earning money... Why are they not earning money? What will they do with the chance they're given? It's hard to help those that squander opportunities....

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So no matter if Obama was president or McCain was president there would have been a bank bailout and a stimulus package.

True, and again - another example of two parties with one master.

I will reluctantly give Obama credit for saving GM. As much as I hate the government intervention I know that keeping GM a viable company saved a ton of jobs, not only in GM but in their suppliers as well.

I'm not sure GM deserved saving, but their sub-tier suppliers did.

You are assuming: 1) that the world economy was really at the edge of collapse and 2) that we are in a slow recovery.

Exactly. And who's to say it's over? I'm concerned that the worst hasn't hit yet. Jobs reports suck and sinking, dollar losing value to the Euro again, etc. Also, notice the stock market getting artificially inflated over the last few weeks? Any good news to back up the run-up? Wait for the pop, folks....

Latest posts

Top Bottom