In all honesty this breaks my heart ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it's obvious by your questions that you are not a student of economics... but nothing wrong with that, as most folks are not.

which leads to a HUGE part of the problem.... most folks don't really understand how economics work, much less following economic events in detail to understand what's actually happening. (zzzzzzz) can we say boring?

what we do get is inundated by all the media, each putting their own slant on things to their advantage. what ever that may be.

what amazes me is one of the MAJOR causes of the near collapse of the world's economy is rarely mentioned or noted.

what I'm referring to is the largest transfer of wealth in the world's history. duh??? betcha most don't have a clue what I'm referring to...

You are assuming: 1) that the world economy was really at the edge of collapse and 2) that we are in a slow recovery.

The question is, how long are our children going to pay for the "stimulus" and what will the true cost be??

Did we compromise our children's futures so that we wouldn't have to face the problems before us??

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how in the world would an educated person such as yourself, possibly think if nothing was done with the world's economy at the edge of collapse. be better off without intervention.

don't get me wrong... I'm not happy with Obama either and have got stimulus fatigue like everyone else.

again, like everyone else ... I've got hindsight and it's quite easy to say...after the initial help, the stimulus was over done.

let's say you were at the controls.... which is better to over do it or under do it?
with stakes being total melt down of world's economy.

FACT.... we are better off being in a slow recovery mode, which could last years vs in a total collapse another 1929 style great depression

Fact.... The private sector has done FAR more than the stimulus has to help us recover from the recession. It's not hindsight either, many were up in arms when the package came out citing that it didn't create meaningful job growth.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not the "goverments" job to create jobs directly. But when the "government" (people) own the streets, bridges, water and sewer systems and in some cases electric facilities and other infrastructure the "government" creates jobs. The "government" has been shortchanging infrastructure and other capital improvements for years. If the administration want's to go the route they need to go all the way... like FDR did with the WPA. Things need to be fixed... and taxes will pay anyway.

The way I understand things Obama's stimulus has only help the road construction industry. I seem to get the feeling talking to folks in that business all the Administration did was move a lot of projects up that would have been done in a couple of years anyway... and it's all been paid for with borrowed money anyway.

This is what makes 'bama a goat of a different color. He surrounds himself with academics... his government is conducting a big experiment to see if those high level economic theories make sense. For years Presidents surrounde themselves with other politicians and lawyers as staff... this guy has a college think tank going on.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
in full agreement.... stimulus has taken a life of it's own and way past needed. the initial bailout was sorely needed... but most of the BS spending was not.

if you count $$$ spent vs getting back.....not all, but most of the initial bailout funds have been repaid back with interest.

once politics gets involved in spending $$$$ ... it's hard to wean off.
we are seeing effects of hard hard it is for the housing market to adjust to no $10k bribe to buy a house. talk about distorting the market.

most of the stimulus $$$ have helped the very rich and powerful. who have not passed on benefits of stimulus $$$ received.

it's not the govn's job to provide jobs! that's what businesses are for ... a healthy environment creates jobs. once businesses learn to feed off free $$$ from the government. it's that much harder to stand on your own merits.

a major part of the problem was created by allowing HUGE corporates to combine into effective monopolies. Those are the firms that were deemed too big to fail and got the bailouts.

break em back up... would go a long ways in bringing back compitition and lots of new jobs. mergers means mandatory job loss to save $$$ and higher prices for consumers.

Fact.... The private sector has done FAR more than the stimulus has to help us recover from the recession. It's not hindsight either, many were up in arms when the package came out citing that it didn't create meaningful job growth.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not the "goverments" job to create jobs directly. But when the "government" (people) own the streets, bridges, water and sewer systems and in some cases electric facilities and other infrastructure the "government" creates jobs. The "government" has been shortchanging infrastructure and other capital improvements for years. If the administration want's to go the route they need to go all the way... like FDR did with the WPA. Things need to be fixed... and taxes will pay anyway.

The way I understand things Obama's stimulus has only help the road construction industry. I seem to get the feeling talking to folks in that business all the Administration did was move a lot of projects up that would have been done in a couple of years anyway... and it's all been paid for with borrowed money anyway.

This is what makes 'bama a goat of a different color. He surrounds himself with academics... his government is conducting a big experiment to see if those high level economic theories make sense. For years Presidents surrounde themselves with other politicians and lawyers as staff... this guy has a college think tank going on.

Actually, from what I saw, only a small portion of the stimulus went towards infrastructure. Rather, many felt that the money allocated towards infrastructure was insufficient.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's obvious by your questions that you are not a student of economics... but nothing wrong with that, as most folks are not.

How about you explain it to us ignorant peons then??

How long do you want the government to continue to prop up "the firms that were deemed too big to fail"? We are already writing checks we can't cash! Eventually, we have to admit that we can't afford to bail out "the firms that were deemed too big to fail" and, as bad as that would be now, it will only be worse in the future!

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, from what I saw, only a small portion of the stimulus went towards infrastructure. Rather, many felt that the money allocated towards infrastructure was insufficient.
That is True.

There was lots of talk about stimulus infrastructure jobs(shovel ready....)
But very little real infrastructure job creation was accomplished or even attempted.

Most of the stimulus money expended so far was given to the states that in turn used it to prop up their own budgets instead of laying off thousands of teachers, police, fire, and other government workers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom