Indian Tag, or No Indian Tag?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So with my tag renewal coming up and Choctaw Nation finally entering into a compact with the state on tags, I'm on the fence as to whether I should get a Choctaw tag for a 20% rebate or stick with a plain tag.

Basically... what I'm asking is this: should I expect more encounters with the tag, and would such an increase be significant? I already have the long hair that attracts K-9 units that are set on "full auto hit" mode.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on how each tribe appropriates the money is my issue.
In Ok, tags go this way: According to the Oklahoma Tax Commission, 36.2 percent of revenue collected from tag sales is distributed to school districts, 15 percent goes to bridge and road improvements, 1.24 percent is given to the Oklahoma Law Enforcement Retirement Fund, and 29.8 percent goes to the state’s general fund.

If the Indian tags don't equal that, you should stay with the OK tag. Some tribes contribute nothing back to the state, yet are allowed to drive on roads because of the Sovereign Nation issue.

I haven't researched it, but remember a thread we had several years ago about this issue. Things may have changed by now, but Is it true that if you register a new car with a tribal tag the first time around, and drive it for 3 years, the new owner will have to register it with an OK state tag, as if its a new vehicle?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is Washita County in Choctaw tribal territory (assuming that's really where you are located)?

Choctaw tag is available statewide and not limited to the 10 1/2 counties in Choctaw Nation.

It depends on how each tribe appropriates the money is my issue.
In Ok, no tribal tags go this way: According to the Oklahoma Tax Commission, 36.2 percent of revenue collected from tag sales is distributed to school districts, 15 percent goes to bridge and road improvements, 1.24 percent is given to the Oklahoma Law Enforcement Retirement Fund, and 29.8 percent goes to the state’s general fund.

If the Indian tags don't equal that, you should stay with the OK tag. Some tribes contribute nothing back to the state, yet are allowed to drive on roads because of the Sovereign Nation issue.

The Choctaw Nation compact with the state is that the fees remain the same and are collected by the state. The state first distributes according to apportionment rules, and once those requirements are met then 85% of what was to go to the General Fund goes to the tribe, which depending on the year of registration is approximately the same as what is lost from the General Fund to FFA tags, Choose Life tags, Patriot tags, Deer Creek Schools tags, OSU tags, Pancreatic Cancer Research tags, etc.

Choctaw Nation then issues a 20% rebate at a later date.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Choctaw tag is available statewide and not limited to the 10 1/2 counties in Choctaw Nation.

The Choctaw Nation compact with the state is that the fees remain the same and are collected by the state. The state first distributes according to apportionment rules, and once those requirements are met then 85% of what was to go to the General Fund goes to the tribe, which depending on the year of registration is approximately the same as what is lost from the General Fund to FFA tags, Choose Life tags, Patriot tags, Deer Creek Schools tags, OSU tags, Pancreatic Cancer Research tags, etc.

Choctaw Nation then issues a 20% rebate at a later date.

Cherokee's do the same. There are some other tribes that contribute very little to nothing back to the state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom