International travel with guns !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.rehme

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yea! I got a whole ration of crap from one of the Canadian Customs agents over 300 rounds of ammo that I declared to bring across. He wanted to know why I needed that much. Kept me there for an hour until I asked for a supervisor. Then finally he said he'd let me go ahead and go but he thought that was an excessive amount of ammo for any one person to have. They can really jack you up and ruin a good day if they want to. I always smile and answer their questions very politely.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just went through Montreal in June, Customs asked me how much ammo I had (40 Rounds) , they told me there was a 200 round limit when coming into the country.

I have 4457 forms ready to go on guns, scopes, bino's, cameras and a range finder I use hunting when out of the country. Never have had to produce a form yet but I am prepared if needed.

There is a 11 pound limit on carrying ammo internationally (international requirement)

50GI Jess

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi again,
Well, was just reading up on this thread again. So why in the world would the US Custom Service sign the 4457 form, if not inspecting what they're signing for???
This really doesn't make any sense at all...or
Jess

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful where you fly through. FOPA won't protect you if your plans suddenly change.

Revell v. Port Authority (3d Cir. 2010)

In short, Flight A was delayed, so he missed his connection in Newark. He booked the next flight, but the airline changed those plans. He was then supposed to get on a bus, but his luggage didn't show up, so he waited for his luggage. By the time he got his luggage, the bus had left. Since he came into actual physical possession of the luggage, thereby making the firearm "readily accessible", he was no longer protected by FOPA.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi again,
Well, was just reading up on this thread again. So why in the world would the US Custom Service sign the 4457 form, if not inspecting what they're signing for???
This really doesn't make any sense at all...or
Jess

They do inspect it...when you bring them the firearms and 4457 in advance, like the CBP link I posted earlier states.

Then they check it again when you try to come back into the country.

"The traveler must physically take the firearm to a CBP office and have a CBP Officer record the serial number and description on a CBP Form 4457 Certificate of Registration and stamp it.

The CBP Officer will give the traveler the Certificate of Registration form to present upon their return to the United States."

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't know exactly where you are (geographically), but there are CBP agents here in OKC. There is an office just south of I-40 and Meridian. A friend of mine goes an visits them about once a year with his hunting rifle about 2 weeks before he goes on his hunt overseas. I have not quizzed him on it, but I suspect he is getting all of the proper paperwork done so he can bring the rifle back with him, as has been stated in previous posts.

50GI Jess

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK got it.
So I do have to go and have the 4457 signed in advance at a CBP office etc. Oh'e man, got a travel some serious distance, before actually starting the vacation. Just because the airport I would be starting from don't have any CBP agents to inspect and sign the form. And when getting to the international airport with the connecting flight, my luggage will already be in transit, with no access to it.
Thanks guys, Jess

Latest posts

Top Bottom