Is being an Oklahoma fishing guide a realistic first/second job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question for any of you that have tried it, or know of someone that has. Is being an independent fishing guide a realistic option for a first or second job?

I already have a truck, a boat, a bunch of fishing gear, etc. It looks like the only thing I'd need to be legal is a $90.00/year guide license from ODWC?

So, for someone that already has most of the entry costs covered, and needs more work, would offering my boat and my time be a good way of making additional income, at least on a seasonal basis?

Do guides normally have regular repeat customers? Or is it the type of thing where people only use them once or twice?

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only guide I know decently well is Chuck Justice, and from talking to him over the years (along with smaller talk with other guides in Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, etc.), I get the impression that it's a tough job if you're a great guide, and really tough if you're not a great guide. I considered going into the guiding business once. My friends and family were supportive, but I learned it was going to be rough, and I was scared I'd get tired of doing something I really love.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guides rely on word of mouth and a repeatable performance in catching fish. Be it bass, crappie or whatever. If you take several groups out and they don't catch, the internet will label the guide as not good, and you will be sitting in front of the computer wondering why no takers.

Okuma

Crocodylus Pontifex
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a bunch of guides down here in Georgia and considered it myself for a while. Are you looking to guide for a specific species?

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be willing to guide for anything that has a demand. I don't expect to make a fortune doing it, just a living. I know it is hard work, but most jobs are. One concern I have is that Oklahoma is not generally a tourist hotspot, so I would need customers that repeat often? Is this even a demographic for a fishing guide, or do people that want to fish a lot generally buy their own boats?

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know its all about the luck of the draw, but a friend of mine that retired early from a local refinery and his wife moved to Grand Lake. He started guiding for the groups that rent/lease the big homes for businesses purposes. His wife started a business of stocking those houses with food and booze before they got there and cleaning them up after they left.
They were there when the economy was great and made a small fortune. When the economy went to the tank, he weathered
I know a bunch of guides down here in Georgia and considered it myself for a while. Are you looking to guide for a specific species?

the storm and hit the bump again. Had to hire other guides and went from bass to crappie eventually opening up a marina and Hotel on Monkey Island.
Martins Landing.
He has been bought out shortly after building it, so he hit it right.

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of people buy a boat, learn that they don't know how to fish, then go to guides for help. Where would you prefer to guide?

If it actually turned into a steady job, I'd be willing to guide anywhere, including out of state. Starting out though, as a second job, the lakes around the Tulsa area would be the only realistic locations

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be willing to guide for anything that has a demand. I don't expect to make a fortune doing it, just a living. I know it is hard work, but most jobs are. One concern I have is that Oklahoma is not generally a tourist hotspot, so I would need customers that repeat often? Is this even a demographic for a fishing guide, or do people that want to fish a lot generally buy their own boats?
Oklahoma is a great fishing destination. The guides on Texoma are really busy. Get up at 3am to net shad, be at the dock at daylight to pick up customers, fish for 4 hours taking fish off, and baiting hooks. Spend an hour after cleaning fish. That is if you can get the client on fish at a regular basis.

Do you have experience at getting into fish on a regular basis?

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have experience at getting into fish on a regular basis?

I usually land enough to be satisfying for my own personal enjoyment. I could certainly "practice" more, and I'm sure doing it everyday, someone would better know the best locations. I see the points though about having to consistently land the fish... a few bad trips and a guide could be done forever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom