Issue with Sportsworld

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been over a year and I still haven't returned to Sportsworld! I'm pretty proud of myself considering how often I used to frequent their store, and the fact that I find myself passing by it on a regular basis. I've also talked 4 friends out of purchasing weapons from them over the same time period. Not that it is going to effect their bottom line, but it does feel like a small victory for me.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mended my fences there a while back. When I look back, I feel pretty silly. I suggest you give them another try. I think you will find a much better attitude than you previously encountered. In fact, I have seen them go out of their way and be extremely patient with people I'd have snapped at. Believe me, I am pretty good at holding a grudge, but these folks have been a Tulsa staple for years and have great prices and frankly, great customer service.

It's important we support local businesses, OPS/2A, Sportsworld, BANG, and others here. And holding a grudge doesn't hurt anyone but yourself. I'd really give them another try. What have you got to lose? Nothing, you can always notgo back. On the other hand, you might have a good experience.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for anyone considering having their gun repaired there please understand the following.
1. they are a major warranty repair station and receive dozens of guns per day for warranty work which comes first.
2. their gunsmiths are mostly parts changers they don't really have time for custom stuff and may even send it out?.
3. most of their knowledge is on current production guns that they are doing the warranty work on.
4. they don't care about you as they are making a boatload of bucks off the warranty work.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for anyone considering having their gun repaired there please understand the following.
1. they are a major warranty repair station and receive dozens of guns per day for warranty work which comes first.
2. their gunsmiths are mostly parts changers they don't really have time for custom stuff and may even send it out?.
3. most of their knowledge is on current production guns that they are doing the warranty work on.
4. they don't care about you as they are making a boatload of bucks off the warranty work.

This explains a LOT. I shop there, but there's no way I'd take any gunsmith work there.

jumpman250r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have bought like 5 or 6 guns there in the last 18 months. Their price is cheapest most of the time. Ammo prices are good.
I however, wouldn't take a gun of mine to be worked on by them after reading this post.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went in there a couple of months ago needing one of those tiny plug screws for a Remington 700 reciever to fill the hole where I had removed a scope base. The guy charged me 5 bucks! It was ridiculous! I know they probably had a ton of them lying around in the way on the workbench from all the scope mounting they do. I won't be back.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went in there a couple of months ago needing one of those tiny plug screws for a Remington 700 reciever to fill the hole where I had removed a scope base. The guy charged me 5 bucks! It was ridiculous! I know they probably had a ton of them lying around in the way on the workbench from all the scope mounting they do. I won't be back.

Wow, so you are pissed at them because the price was too high and you paid it, I don't get how that works, seems like you should be pissed at YOU. Did you look at the price of the screw online before you let them "gouge" you for the whopping $5? Looks to me like that is the going price plus shipping.

Giving things away for free is not a working business model, many have tried, and many have failed, stores have to charge to stay in business. Do you know how many people are employed by Sportsworld? Any idea what it costs to support the overhead of the store so you can come in and ask for a small part then ***** about the price?

It's a great store, great inventory, and decent prices. It's been well established for years that Gun Smithing isn't their best service and there are many other choices around. I doubt the other choices would give away product either. It's also established that the owner has a low tolerance for people that want to ***** about a $5 part, as an old curmudgeon myself I completely relate to his stance.

Buzz70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey it's a free country go there if you want. Just be prepared that the old man is an as.. and there isn't an excuse in the world you could give me that would make me change my stance on that. Everyone else seemed generally nice. I've purchased a couple of items from them; however thanks to the old man my business goes OPS and even Buds online.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey it's a free country go there if you want. Just be prepared that the old man is an a.. and there isn't an excuse in the world you could give me that would make me change my stance on that.
On this final day of the year, I proclaim this my most agreed with OSA quote for 2011.
And Happy New Year to all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom