It's going to be a while until I can go shooting again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad died from prostate cancer. It's supposed to be one of the most treatable cancers (supposedly, if you live long enough, the odds are extremely high that you'll get it), but his misfortune was that it happened during the 'Rona times, and all those Goddamned Rona protocols kept him from getting diagnosed early enough to catch it before metastasized into his bones.

A year or so back, I listened to a podcast with a retired USAF general, and he was talking about his battles with cancer. One of them was prostate cancer, which he'd beaten. He said they'd unsuccessfully tried radiation treatment, then had resorted to surgical treatment, and if he'd had it to do over, he would've gone the surgical route first, as doing radiation first made the surgical route much more difficult.

It sounds like they caught yours early enough and they've chosen the better route, so here's thoughts and prayers that you'll have a relatively easy route to recovery.
Radiation is much easier, and much less invasive initially, a lot of folks take that path because of that. It is a lifetime dose of radiation, so that is off the table for any future cancer treatments. It also produces scar tissue that can have long term complications. I chose surgery because I wanted the f@#$%ng cancer out of my body. Everyone has to make their own decision, and there is no one that will tell you the right path for you, one of the hardest decisions I have ever made.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Radiation is much easier, and much less invasive initially, a lot of folks take that path because of that. It is a lifetime dose of radiation, so that is off the table for any future cancer treatments. It also produces scar tissue that can have long term complications. I chose surgery because I wanted the f@#$%ng cancer out of my body. Everyone has to make their own decision, and there is no one that will tell you the right path for you, one of the hardest decisions I have ever made.
IIRC, he said if the radiation doesn't work, it makes the surgery much more difficult. He said it basically turns the prostate into something resembling grilled cheese. (It has been quite some time since I listened, but I remember the grilled cheese comment quite vividly.)

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC, he said if the radiation doesn't work, it makes the surgery much more difficult. He said it basically turns the prostate into something resembling grilled cheese. (It has been quite some time since I listened, but I remember the grilled cheese comment quite vividly.)
I was told it then develops scar tissue and becomes very hard, very difficult to perform surgery on and around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom