1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
    Dismiss Notice

J frame disassembly

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by technetium-99m, Nov 13, 2009.

1. technetium-99m

technetium-99m Sharpshooter Member

I've got a little j frame that has a broken hammer spur, instead of replacing the hammer I think I'm just going to bob it since I see no reason for a hammer spur on this gun anyway.

Are there any decent assembly diagrams or exploded views on the interwebs before I tear into it? I'll still probably just go for it tomorrow though. I'll make sure to take it apart in a plastic bad in case anything decides to try and enter orbit.

2. ldp4570

ldp4570 Sharpshooter Member

Unless you really need to get at the guts of her, there is no reason to disassymble. As long as she is locking up tight, and not out of time leave them insides be.

3. RKM

RKM Sharpshooter Member

Agree....You can bob the hammer without disassambly. If you do decide to get into the insides the tricky part will be the rebound spring. Smith's are fun to get inside once you have done it.

4. Shoot Summ

Shoot Summ Sharpshooter Member

5. NikatKimber

NikatKimber Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Member

I wouldn't exactly call it fun, but not too awful bad. I've taken both of my lock guns apart to disable the lock, and both of them still work. In my opinion, assembly was the difficult part. Just go slow and be patient.

6. technetium-99m

technetium-99m Sharpshooter Member

I guess I could tape up all the open places and then have at it, worried about crud getting into places it doesn't belong.

7. Rolando

Rolando Sharpshooter Member

You can do it. Helps to have the spring tool for the rebound spring but you can do it with a screwdriver or a punch or something.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=397027

great pictures and step by step You may have to log in to see the photos

The Kuhnhausen book is the standard manual. It helps but the link above is pretty good.