Key mod Handguards

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many want one?

• I gotsta have it now I'll sell a couple guns to get one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • its ugly I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, it is not about the accessories. I had a chance to shoot a rifle with a key mod guard on it. It was light, comfortable, slim, and fit my hand a lot better when shooting. I still have a YHM Diamond on my rifle, but will probably change it out in time.

Have you had a chance to play with one yet?

This was it for me also. The ability to put what you want where you want and mostly the feel.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have the Troy Alpha rail, it is similar in the fact that it only has a top rail, and you add what you want where you want. If the keymods hadn't been new and expensive when I purchased mine, I might have one on my AR now.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've gone to the MI Keymod rail on a couple of rifles then added the Noveske panels. They are thin, light and pretty! I'm glad to see some new mounts come out like the offset light. That will probably replace my scout light at 9 o'clock.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with a seekins sp3r it's light and fits great. The top is railed and the sides and bottom are keymod. I can get small railed sections for what ever I want to add and I don't have to hold onto railing.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I haven't figured out yet, is what keymod has to offer over a handguard with a full rail on the top and some well placed short rail sections with QD mounted accessories.

The idea is that you can get keymod accessories that attach straight to the handguard, cutting out the "middleman" of the rail section. If you are just mounting rail sections to the keymod to mount your accessories to, it isn't any better than other modular handguards that let you do the same thing.

None of the keymod handguards currently sold do anything for me over other modular handguards, like the MI-SS G2 that I have on a couple of rifles. The only things I might ever attach to the handguards are a sling, a bipod, a light, and possibly in the near future clip-on NV and/or an IR aiming laser. The latter 3 would all attach to the top rail, which all the keymod handguards still have.

As far as the bipod goes, the MI-SS G2 comes with a regular sling stud that Harris bipods attach to. No keymod handguards do, so it's one more thing I'd have to buy, in addition to the already more expensive handguard

As far as the sling goes, my MI-SS comes with a rail section with a QD swivel socket that I can place wherever I want. None of the keymod handguards do, so once again it is just one more thing I'd have to buy that the SS comes with out of the box. Some keymod handguards do have built-in swivel sockets... this is fine if you like to attach your sling in the standard arfcom/M4c position at the rear of the handguard. I personally do not -- I like my swivel in a very particular place (has to do with a particular shooting technique I sometimes use), so the built in ones are nothing but dead weight for me.

If you like vertical/angled foregrips, hand stops, etc. on your rifle, you may see a slight benefit from keymod, by making bolt-on rail sections unnecessary to use these items. Of course this necessitates buying all new keymod-compatible accessories... otherwise you're just back to mounting them with rail sections.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am gonna buy a Samson rail in a month or so. I don't think I am getting a key mod. It is more expensive and I found one that does pretty much the same thing. I like factory handguards fine too.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me, it is not about the accessories. I had a chance to shoot a rifle with a key mod guard on it. It was light, comfortable, slim, and fit my hand a lot better when shooting. I still have a YHM Diamond on my rifle, but will probably change it out in time.

Have you had a chance to play with one yet?

No, but I do have a couple of MI SS Gen 2's, a 12" and a 15" and love them. They're light, comfortable, and slim. The keymods may be lighter, not sure whether they would be more comfortable or not. Certainly not worth it to me to replace them. The 15" SS did replace a T-series 15" that was just too much. The only full quad rail I have left is on a Colt 6940, replacement is not an option, but that one has a Larue FUG on it that will always be there.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The idea is that you can get keymod accessories that attach straight to the handguard, cutting out the "middleman" of the rail section. If you are just mounting rail sections to the keymod to mount your accessories to, it isn't any better than other modular handguards that let you do the same thing.

None of the keymod handguards currently sold do anything for me over other modular handguards, like the MI-SS G2 that I have on a couple of rifles. The only things I might ever attach to the handguards are a sling, a bipod, a light, and possibly in the near future clip-on NV and/or an IR aiming laser. The latter 3 would all attach to the top rail, which all the keymod handguards still have.

As far as the bipod goes, the MI-SS G2 comes with a regular sling stud that Harris bipods attach to. No keymod handguards do, so it's one more thing I'd have to buy, in addition to the already more expensive handguard

As far as the sling goes, my MI-SS comes with a rail section with a QD swivel socket that I can place wherever I want. None of the keymod handguards do, so once again it is just one more thing I'd have to buy that the SS comes with out of the box. Some keymod handguards do have built-in swivel sockets... this is fine if you like to attach your sling in the standard arfcom/M4c position at the rear of the handguard. I personally do not -- I like my swivel in a very particular place (has to do with a particular shooting technique I sometimes use), so the built in ones are nothing but dead weight for me.

If you like vertical/angled foregrips, hand stops, etc. on your rifle, you may see a slight benefit from keymod, by making bolt-on rail sections unnecessary to use these items. Of course this necessitates buying all new keymod-compatible accessories... otherwise you're just back to mounting them with rail sections.

That was pretty much what I was thinking. Lots of stuff out there that already works, I don't feel the need to buy new accessories to replace what I already have. For me, the SS series handguards from Midwest are pretty close to ideal.

I'd be the last one to knock anybody if they like the keymod or mlok stuff, especially if they are starting out with it, or if they see enough advantage to change over. ATM it just ain't for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom