Key mod Handguards

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many want one?

• I gotsta have it now I'll sell a couple guns to get one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • its ugly I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, but I do have a couple of MI SS Gen 2's, a 12" and a 15" and love them. They're light, comfortable, and slim. The keymods may be lighter, not sure whether they would be more comfortable or not. Certainly not worth it to me to replace them. The 15" SS did replace a T-series 15" that was just too much. The only full quad rail I have left is on a Colt 6940, replacement is not an option, but that one has a Larue FUG on it that will always be there.

I also like the MI forearms. A lot has changed in the years after I bought the YHM Diamond. lol

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
re:henschman

The other benefit to the Keymod is that you don't have to worry about backing plates, making it much faster/easier to add/remove pieces.

My Troy Alpha does the same as the MI rail, slick on all sides with a top rail, but adding rail sections requires lining up a backing plate and starting a screw. Not hard, but can be a test of patience.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Greg Keymod. He was a janitor at Vltor. Late one night he was mopping the Vltor shop during an electrical storm and accidentally spilled some mop water on a lathe at the exact same time lighting struck it. Bam! Just like that the keymod was born.

You have way too much free time, or not enough! That is some funny stuff!

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as far as I can tell, it works via mounts attached with specially-shaped nuts that fit through the large holes and slide laterally into the narrow slots. Then the nuts are tightened down.

If that's how it is, then what keeps the nuts from coming loose during use, and the mount sliding back and forth in the slots?

This is a question for Dr. Ruth...

Latest posts

Top Bottom