Knife Bill on the President's desk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got this from a co-worker regarding assisted opening knives. It doesn't look good at all. :(

Here is an interesting tidbit embedded in the latest appropriations bill now on the President’s desk:

H.R.2892
Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2010 (Enrolled as Agreed to or Passed by Both House and Senate)

Sec. 562. Section 4 of the Act entitled `An Act to prohibit the introduction, or manufacture for introduction, into interstate commerce of switchblade knives, and for other purposes' (commonly known as the Federal Switchblade Act) (15 U.S.C. 1244) is amended--
(1) by striking `or' at the end of paragraph (3);
(2) by striking the period at the end of paragraph (4) and inserting `; or' and
(3) by adding at the end the following:
`(5) a knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife.'.

If this means what I think it means, it will end direct to civilian sales of assisted opening knives from manufacturers.

Anyone care to do the legwork on this to see if it's actually passed the House & Senate? I would, but I'm swamped with stuff to do right now.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6/16/2009 Introduced in House

6/16/2009 The House Committee on Appropriations reported an original measure, H. Rept. 111-157, by Mr. Price (NC).

6/24/2009 Passed/agreed to in House: On passage Passed by the Yeas and Nays: 389 - 37 (Roll no. 450).

7/9/2009
Passed/agreed to in Senate: Passed Senate with an amendment by Yea-Nay Vote. 84 - 6. Record Vote Number: 229.

10/13/2009 Conference report H. Rept. 111-298 filed.

10/15/2009 Conference report agreed to in House: On agreeing to the conference report Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: 307 - 114 (Roll no. 784).

10/20/2009
Conference report agreed to in Senate: Senate agreed to conference report by Yea-Nay Vote. 79 - 19. Record Vote Number: 323.

10/20/2009 Cleared for White House.

10/22/2009 Presented to President.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d111:1:./temp/~bd7pre:@@@L&summ2=m&|/bss/111search.html

Looks like we have more $h*% to repeal. :pissed:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know there's currently a federal law that restricts the mfg. for sale of auto knives to mil/LE. High end manufacturers such as Benchmade require their dealers to honor that.

Obviously many dealers in knives do not honor that requirement. I don't believe there's a law on the books that holds a dealer responsible, only the manufacturer. So it's obviously a lame law that does very little to deter sales of "switchblades" to civilians. I'm not aware of any cases where this has been used all the way to trial.

It's a stupid lame law made to allow goober politicians apppear tough on "evil weapons".

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would be curious as to how many crimes are commited with automatic and assisted opening knives.I suspect it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of how often "assault rifles" are used.Most knife crimes I've seen were commited kitchen or hunting knives. Steve

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got this from a co-worker regarding assisted opening knives. It doesn't look good at all. :(

If this means what I think it means, it will end direct to civilian sales of assisted opening knives from manufacturers.

Anyone care to do the legwork on this to see if it's actually passed the House & Senate? I would, but I'm swamped with stuff to do right now.

Some good news.
Thanks to the NRA backed effort, pocket knives are exempt.
Read about it here.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=5187

Oh, and do join the NRA if you have read this and are NOT a member.
-abajaj11

Latest posts

Top Bottom