Knife Bill on the President's desk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did't get to the president's desk, didn't get to conference, never even got voted on in either chamber of our legislature.
Scarey thought though. Man! That was a close one.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok it says "and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm", now if I understand this right and the way these spring assisted knives work you do not exert anything on the blade do you? They imply in the writing that the blade is a part of a knife, so to me you can't construe that the word blade is used in place of knife in this instance. So basically my thought if there is a mechanism in place on a knife for it to spring open, and you push a button to open it on the handle, then you exerted on the button, you did not use your hand, wrist or arm on the blade to open it.

The way I read it is that you have to push the blade directly to release it, kinda like you do with some cabinet doors that you push in and let go real quick and they pop open.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
`(5) a knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife.'.

It sounds like my Kershaw would have been a targeted in this one, the bill is dead so I guess it doesn't matter.

My question is this, had this passed, would it be a federal law? I believe you can get a lot more time for breaking these laws. If so, that is what's scary.

planefixr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bigger question is why we even need a switch-blade act. I have a standard knife no assisted opening no springs or any thing. And I can have it out and open before my buddy can have his Benchmade auto out and open.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bigger question is why we even need a switch-blade act. I have a standard knife no assisted opening no springs or any thing. And I can have it out and open before my buddy can have his Benchmade auto out and open.

/agree

I've never understood the whole illegal switchblade thing. The only reason I can think of there being a law about it is to just get it on the books. Once a law is made, other knives, guns, etc can be added to it more easily later on.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same as any other mala prohibita law. At some point, switchblades came into favor with criminals and thugs. Scared, yellow bellied, whining sheep cried to their politicians, who saw an opportunity to win political points by pretending to be tough on crime, when in fact they were not.

Never mind that using any knife on another person while not in the act of self-defense is a crime, let's ban the tool! Tards. :(

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The whole switchblade ban just pisses me off to no end. :pissed:
I can legally carry a loaded .44 magnum if I so choose. But I can't carry a switchblade knife because they are just too damn dangerous. :nono2:

:explode:

Latest posts

Top Bottom