Know anyone with a Powered Parachute reasonably close to Tulsa?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenneth Leake

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So why did you guys get out of flying PPC's? I know the winds are usually stronger in the western half of the state, but the eastern side is usually flyable at least a couple of times per week.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine was a 2 seater and FAA changed the rules to where it being over 254 lbs I'd need an N number and a Sport Pilots license to fly it. There was also a marriage that got in the way... <LOL>

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wind limitations did it for me, just didn't get to fly it that often.
I really always wanted a gyroplane, so I started moving that direction.

Kenneth Leake

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I definitely understand the FAA stuff. I'm currently flying a single seater that falls under part 103 so I don't have to deal with that, but am planning to upgrade to a 2 seater and get the license.

Wind is an issue depending on where you live. I haven't had too many weeks that I couldn't fly at least once, but as the days get shorter in the fall, work gets in the way and pretty much only leaves the weekends. I'm loving it otherwise.

There is about 10-15 people in the Tulsa area that fly them and it seems the interest is picking up. There is also a couple of facebook groups that are growing.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It really helps to have a group to fly with. Brings back fun memories.
I haven't seen any around OKC in a long time.

I remember flying one morning and chasing a hot air balloon. Flew a few circles around him thinking "Ha, you need a car full of people to fly your thing, mine's a one man show".

To each his own.
Flying in a small open craft is one of the best things.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mike Caddel passed away in Feb of this year. He was who FAA administrator Jane Garvey worked with to come up with the revised regs for powered parachutes and even took a ride in Mikes PPC at Will Rogers. I talked with Mike several times and even took him for a 'spirited' ride down one of the taxiways at Page in my Buick Grand National.

Last edited:

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, Mike Caddel, I remember him. I had my gyro at Page when he was there with PPCs, he took my wife up for a ride.
Really nice guy.

Kenneth Leake

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a PPG training location in OKC, and a few guys that fly PPC's over that way and I know a few more that are interested. Check out "Oklahoma Powered Parachutes" on facebook if you are interested. I'm starting to see more of these around the Tulsa area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom