Ladies/wives opinions wanted...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has a P238 that she likes, I just replaced the trigger with a steel trigger she should like better. She had some concerns with a few FTE rounds with the .380, so wanted to go the revolver route. She now also has a Ruger LCR .357 that she has been carrying with .38 rounds to reduce shooter punishment. Either gun is carried in her purse, in a holster.

After a few hundred more rounds down the Sig, there doesn't appear to be an FTE problem, I just think the gun needed broken in some more. I'm sure that, along with lots of different ammo being used at the range, some better than others, were the main problems.

filobeto

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best gun for her is the gun she chooses. Take her to several gun stores and gun shows and let her pick up and feel each gun. After that compare the ones on the "yes" list and let her pick the best one.

We did this with my sister, went to all the gun shops and a couple gun shows and literally picked up and felt every single compact and subcompact that was available at the time. The one thing that really amazed me was how incredibly bad they all felt (minus one, I'll get to that). They were rough, had ridiculously sharp bits all over and were generally completely miserable to hold and that was without shooting which is going to intensify every one of those sharp edges. Now you guys with calloused, crusty man hands aren't going to notice or care but you can bet your wife will.

My sister already had a G30SF, which is a very good gun but it was still too heavy and cumbersome for concealed carry unless it's winter and you're wearing heavy clothes. She wanted something she could wear with summer clothes but all the guns (minus one) were, frankly, like trying to conceal carry a sea anemone. Then we tried a Kimber Solo....Dayum..what a total opposite. The felt spectacular in the hand, concealed extremely easy and was a 9mm, all our prerequisites covered.

Well, it was expensive (the CDP night sight/laser grip version) and I was bombarded by people saying the Solo was junk and wouldn't run more than one or two rounds before jamming. Now, I had heard this before when I bought a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II and that gun runs like a champ so I would ask them when they bought their Solo and got the same answer from all of them..."I never bought one but I've read a lot of people saying the same thing". Well yeah, he was one of those people so there are people all over the net repeating things as fact despite having no first hand experience. Not just an issue with Kimber's but with many things on the net.

Anywho, we finally, after a year and a half search, found a Solo CDP (actually Mark from Mark's Firearms did his thing and got it for us a great guy, if you can't find something or just want something check him out!). We now had the Solo CDP, took it to the range and followed the Kimber break in guide. We had one minor hiccup when she accidentally reassembled it incorrectly during it's pre-break in cleaning and oiling. The hiccup was fixed and the gun has been perfect since. I'm a gun snob in that if I pay that much for a gun it better do more than just work, it has to impress me and that little Solo CDP impressed the heck out of me. It is absolutely the finest subcompact ever made in my opinion but it isn't perfect. It is the most expensive of them all and it requires premium ammunition to perform as designed.

I can understand the price, it's an amazing little gun and since this gun is designed to be a high performance subcompact I can understand it requiring only premium ammo. Not much different than a high performance car requiring premium fuel, not an issue when you put it into perspective.

All that said, Kimber did rush to release the Solo and the demand for them was huge so they screwed up and released the gun before it should have been. The first Solo's out the door were flawed and they started coming back as soon as the new owner tried to shoot them, all while Kimber denied there being a problem. This means there are some funky ones out there because the first owner turned around and sold it instead of sending it in for repair/replacement, very likely making a good bit of money because the resale prices were staggering. If you've bought a new one in the last 4 years or so you are safe, if you want to buy a used one you should probably research the serial numbers to see when it was made, or better yet, ask to shoot it before buying. I doubt there are very many funky ones out there and even if you got one you could have it repaired for free and maybe get comped a new magazine or something.

I apologize for going off on a tangent here, I had only planned to say "have her pick it out and consider a Solo".

P.S. Mine is an STI Elektra .45acp. Easy to conceal, lightweight, has the "carry" treatment, extremely reliable, amazingly accurate, night sights and a magazine full of big .45acp boolits....plus its a beautiful gun.

I going to buy my wife a Solo and I hope she don't like it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom