Lawton Biker Shooting - Helen's Place

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in Lawton and lived there for the first 24 years of my life. I'm am so glad I'm out of that hellhole. I've seen Lawton change from an overall good town to now a town of thugs, gangs, and the downtrodden. Even the Denny's restaurant had to close a few years back due to the constant gang violence there after-hours in the weekends and drive by shootings. The pool hall there closed a few times due to the shootings. The town is very much run by people in the "good ol' boy" system and have a distorted view of how things are "great," yet burying their heads in the sand when it comes to facing the problems and challenges the city has.

Even in the early days, Lawton was known as a town of brothels, illicit gambling, booze (during prohibition) and cut throats. Down town Lawton used to be known as "Little Chicago" during the prohibition era.

About 9 years ago, back when I was an aspiring filmmaker, I even did a documentary in Lawton on the good, bad and ugly. A lot of those in power in Lawton and business owners (old money) did everything they could to keep rival businesses out. They kept a lot of the major retailers and restaurants out and made it hard for new industry to come in. This was not because of a "keep it local" philosophy, but due to the fear of losing influence and power with more outsiders bringing money and jobs in. There is a reason why the THIRD largest city in Oklahoma is reduced to nothing but fast food, pawn shops, churches, and liquor stores - while smaller cities like Norman, Edmond, and even Chickasaw have more retailers, restaurants, and things to do. Heck even Wichita Falls, TX has more than Lawton.

I remember back in 1998 the rumors of an Olive Garden coming into town. People there have held on to their dreams of bologna alfredo, beefaroni and other Chef Boyardee inspired cuisine for 10 years plus until finally getting one in 2009. Yes folks, the THIRD largest city in Oklahoma finally got their first Olive Garden just a few years ago. There was line that damn near wrapped around the place twice the first weekend it was open....

The military is what powers Lawton. Without it, Lawton would become a ghost town. It is also the reason why theres abnormally high gang activity and teen pregnancy. It's a running joke growing up that 1/4 of the girls in high school will become pregnant by a G.I. almost twice her age. There's also a lack of things to do in Lawton. Once you turn 18, you have your choice of IHOP, bowling, movies, or play pool and hang out at the strip club. Guess where all 18yr olds went?

I guarantee if you have a son or daughter that is 18+, but still under 21, they probably have gone to one of the 3 strip clubs there and a very good chance they're regulars there. I knew girls in my church and morning bible classes who worked as dancers or waitresses at the strip clubs. Lawton and strip clubs go together. It's part of the growing up experience there unlike any other Oklahoma town I would say. People here in OKC look at you funny if you say you used to go to strip clubs all the time to hang out and play pool. People who grew up in Lawton look at you funny if you say the opposite and say you've never been to a strip club. It is what it is.

I used to defend Lawton and did my damnedest to try and make the place "better" when I lived there and was young and full of energy. But now after experience life outside of that town, I realize just how crummy it is. Even Cameron University is a joke of a university, but that is another topic for another time.

Last edited:

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
This could be true about Okmulgee too. Have to wonder why a town/county that has two major highways (I-75 and I-40) is so dead.

The town is very much run by people in the "good ol' boy" system and have a distorted view of how things are "great," yet burying their heads in the sand when it comes to facing the problems and challenges the city has.

About 9 years ago, back when I was an aspiring filmmaker, I even did a documentary in Lawton on the good, bad and ugly. A lot of those in power in Lawton and business owners (old money) did everything they can to keep rival businesses out. They kept a lot of the major retailers and restaurants out and made it hard for new industry to come in. This was not because of a "keep it local" philosophy, but due to the fear of losing influence and power with more outsiders bringing money and jobs in. There is a reason why the THIRD largest city in Oklahoma is reduced to nothing but fast food, pawn shops, while smaller cities like Norman, Edmond, and even Chickasaw have more retailers, restaurants, and things to do. Heck even Wichita Falls, TX has more than Lawton.

sabot_round

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put my LEO carrier on hold to join the Infantry and I spent four years on active duty and have been back in the civilian side for a year now. I did that so POGS like you can jump to conclusions and post stupid crap too.

Wow!! You did 4 years?? I'm about to hit 19 years...Whos the pogue now??

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 9 years ago, back when I was an aspiring filmmaker, I even did a documentary in Lawton on the good, bad and ugly.

Is this available for the watching in any format?

This could be true about Okmulgee too. Have to wonder why a town/county that has two major highways (I-75 and I-40) is so dead.

I-40 does not run through Okmulgee. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom