Legal Q's about reloading.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a link I can go to for the legal Q's about loading ammo? For instance, it's my understanding that you can only have a certain amount of powder on hand at a time. What about loaded ammo? Is there a certain amount you're allowed to have completed on hand at a time. Most importantly, if I thought I could sell some to friends and family to make my $$ back on equipment, is that legal?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for the amount of powder-it depends on where you live.
ask your fire marshal.

to reload/remanufacture and sell you get into a license/excise tax situation
the pittman/robertson act makes you pay a tax on each box you reload.
plus the insurance liability issues.
you may be a good old boy reloading for your fellow good old boys til a kaboom and the lawyers
start circling.

most longtime experienced shooters live by the rule "I don't shoot anybody's reloads but my own"
for a reason.

oknavy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to the ATF website: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html#ammo-reloading

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use. [18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you sell ammo you MUST HAVE AN FFL.

Don't remember which one.

To manufacture, but not to sell.
They did away with that in 1986 when they started allowing mailorder sales.
Its a cache 22 situation though.
You can have a store that sells ammo and reloading supplies with no ffl required.
But the wholesalers won't sell to you (at the good prices) without the ffl.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to reload so my shooting can be cheaper and I can really stock up on ammo but it seems like it would be forever before I broke even on the equipment and first round of supplies. I was thinking selling some might help make the $ back quicker but after seeing some of the responses on here, I can tell that's not such a good idea :-)

Looks like you can save about 50% depending on the round, right now I only have 5.56 and 9mm. Still though, I figure I'll be about $1000 to $1300 into it before I can cast bullets. that's 12,500 - 16,000 9mm rounds. I like to shoot but man, that's alot since I'm not into competition or anything.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't run the math for a long time since my reloading gear has long since paid for itself, but I suspect you're right about saving approx. 50%.

However, I think you could get started reloading for a lot less than you think. If you must have the best of the best, with a top-end progressive press, that's pricey. But I started reloading with a single-stage press kit by Lee about 15 years ago, and I was up and running for probably $200 or less (for the equipment, not the components).

If you're willing to start simple and expand later, and especially if you're willing to look at Lee equipment (I've gotten along fine with mine), you can still get started for much, much less than $1,000.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I recently got my uncle into reloading with a Lee Turret press for 4 calibers for under $600, and that included the components for the first 100 rounds of each caliber.

For 9mm and .223 you should be able to get into it cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom