Let's help HoLeChit pick out a surround sound setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, there are tons of "car audio" subs with excellent sound quality. You are completely misinformed, sir.

Correct, I actually looked at using car audio subs and a plate amp for a Custom enclosure I wanted to build. Several neat ideas to make a normal piece of furniture into a subwoofer/enclosure.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, there are tons of "car audio" subs with excellent sound quality. You are completely misinformed, sir.

Eh, I wouldn't say "completely misinformed". Out of date, yeah, probably. I was in the car audio game quite awhile. I remember the 3/8" thick cones with 1" heavy foam surrounds and spiders so stiff you could barely move it by hand. All so the motor assembly could handle 2kW, or whatever was more than the next competitor out there. Kicker is one of the few that actually does care about sound quality some. They actually dose out the glue they use to keep all the moving assemblies a consistent weight, vs a lot of others who just want it to not come apart. And I made a few come apart too.

But you won't see subs from car audio manufacturers in pro audio setups. Or stage setups. Or even home setups (usually). And there's a reason. The car audio subs have made tradeoffs for being in a car, in a sub-optimal enclosure, and a market that largely just wants things "as loud as frig" (my words of course).

Do some of them sound pretty good. I bet so. Do they sound as good as drivers designed for audio quality first, loudness second. I doubt it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are plenty and plenty and PLENTY of car audio manufacturers who make subs with extremely good SQ, and are NOT made just to be loud. Yes, you may be out of the game, but it sounds to me like you mostly have experience outside the realm of the "true SQ" car audio scene - especially if you think Kicker cares about SQ. ;) lol Just sayin', man. Not a jibe, but it is all about the scene you are familiar with.

Companies like Sinfoni, Dynaudio, Velodyne, Audison, Altomobile, McIntosh, Focal, JBL and many others make subs that are SQ-focused, and even a lot of companies that make great high-output subwoofers that would fit into home theater with authority AND clarity without compromise.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, you may be out of the game, but it sounds to me like you mostly have experience outside the realm of the "true SQ" car audio scene - especially if you think Kicker cares about SQ. ;) lol Just sayin', man. Not a jibe, but it is all about the scene you are familiar with.

Hahah, yeah you're probably right. My experience with car audio was the more "looks and noise" side for sure. Before I grew up and started caring about how audio actually sounded. Basically abandoned anything relating to car audio and never looked back.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a huge SQ scene out there that people don't really know much about. I've heard some absolutely incredible-sounding cars out there that cost much more than my system (which is ridiculous) in trailer-queen vehicles that don't play above 90dB. But let me tell you, they are incredible.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a working metal/rock/industrial musician Ive messed with sound systems for performing, recording and for pleasure listening at home, on the go, and in my vehicles for over 30 years and still don't know what I like. I buy more stuff that just ends up resold than you can even imagine. I try to learn new stuff every day just by staying up on trends and new gear. Music and sound reproduction is my passion. I sold major sound systems to venues of all sizes while working for Peavey in the 90s. Mostly large churchs and clubs. I hung out with the original THX guys in downtown Modesto CA at Lucas's theatre watching them tweak their creations. At one time I even used a couple of my monster Marshall Dual Monobloc all tube rack power amps to power my home system because I wanted 'pure' power. I've built home sub boxes using auto and 12" guitar cabinet speakers. Yes it can be done. (Match those ohms...). I spent some time with IASCA events back in the day.

Today tho I have a bit of cash to buy whatever I like so I can finally enjoy buying brand new high quality gear. I do my homework and seek out gear that enhances my experience in my own personal listening environments. Home, studio and auto. What works for me isn't gonna work for anybody else but prolly another metal/industrial/EDM freak like me, same as the guy who listens only to classical.

I have 4 SS systems at my house in OK. My bedroom system is a bare bones 5.1 setup and is more for just when watching movies from the bedroom with the wife, rarely happens, it's usually not even on. Living room/den has a more than decent whole family entertainment system in 7.1. My media room is new to me so still tweaking stuff. I just got started getting into projection systems so that room now has a major A/V system setup that Im really enjoying. My studio/shop system just uses 2 sets of studio bookshelf speakers, no sub.

OP- go listen to tons of different gear, educate yourself- easy to do with a computer, and buy stuff that you like to listen thru. Take your time with it and learn what you like. Enjoy.

on the road...tapatalkn

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom