Looking for a .223 sub sonic receipe. Anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

younggundavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking to load up some .223 sub sonic loads for an Ar platform rifle. (so I'm needing a load that will cycle the action). I've found a thread on here that dated back to 2009 but nothing current. Just looking for a good receipe..

The old "thread" I found mentioned titegroup but I beleive someone else mentioned that the titegroup receipe wouldn't cycle an AR.. some help or advice?

younggundavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a link to an older thread. I've read it.. but I didn't see anything conclusive. During the chat on this thread. One member posted a link to another thread. That link no longer works..so I've heard there is factory ammo out there that will cycle the AR platform at subsonic.. I was just wondering who's done it without the factory loads.

http://www.okshooters.com/showthrea...ipe-for-sub-sonic-223&highlight=223+sub+sonic

WillR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5.3 gr Trailboss with 75 or 77 gr. Probably need adjustable gas, lighter buffer, or spring. Start with more than 5.3 and work down. The problem is you are only getting less than 200 ftlb energy.

younggundavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the load WillR... I don't have any trailboss powder.. I will start looking for some. I wish a few other's would chime in with a good load.
I'm also curious as to wether this load of yours will cycle an ar platform and have a velocity under 1050 feet per....

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously...lol.. just one receipe.. amoungst everyone??

There's a reason for the lack of posts and recipes. There just isn't a good option without adjustable gas, lighter springs, lighter buffers, etc. Even with all of these mods, it still isn't worth a damn. I've tried to do this for suppressed AR's and had virtually no luck. Sorry, just not a good subsonic platform/caliber combination.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It so much easier to work a subsonic load for a 300 blackout and, for short range, it's much more effective with regard to stopping power than a .223. Speed is one of the factors that makes the .233 worth shooting.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4.5gr of Blue Dot, 1050fps. Probably won't cycle without doing a lot of weight removal, gas adjusting, and less spring tension. Used this with 55gr FMJBT's, might do better with a heavier projectile.

Latest posts

Top Bottom