Looking for a place to hunt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just skip regular gun season on public.
I'm going to hunt public this year for the first time in many years.
I used to hunt skiatook for bow season with no problems. went gun season 1 year , it was crazy. sittin in my stand
where i always bow hunted and never saw anyone, sun comes up and I'm surrounded by like 50 orange spots. I climbed down and went home. on the way to the truck I spooked a little 4 point and he took off the way I came. about a minute later it sounded like WW III started.

Used to hunt candy creek many, many years ago til we almost got killed by some yehoo making a "sound" shot. He opened up with a sks and sprayed the bushes about 50 feet from us and never even noticed we were there. at the first shot we dove for cover behind some rocks. we were lucky that day cause the bullets hit all around us.

I'll go bow and muzzleloader seasons on public, but probably never for regular gun unless its somewhere real remote.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt pha's every year in archery and never have a problem except sometimes someone will be set up close to you and may not have seen your stand or you theirs but there are lots of deer on public land and it is always a good hunt. Most of the time as good as I have on private. I would not put a feeder on public but I would make a corn hole at my favorite spot. If you want to spend money on a lease, you can get private but it is very hard to find someone that will just let you hunt anymore. Things have changed.

bowhunter34

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well I looked at some public land tis aftrenoon, and found a couple spots i might try. I went way back in the deep woods so maybe a big ol' boy will be around. I think i'll just sit on the ground, there is no way I'm going to carry my climber that far back.. Putting corn in a hole is a good idea, I'm going to try that. Oh, and I dont recommend going in the middle of the day. 105 was a little hot in the timber.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year was my fist year hunting in OK. We moved to Tulsa in August. Killed the biggest deer of my life, a real nice 11 point on public land here in late November. There were a lot of deer on that piece of property. I was fortunate to get in on a lease this year but I promise you I will be back on the public ground spot at least a few times in November.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always hunted public land other than growing up when my step dad was paying the bills for a lease in Texas. I have never had much of a problem with people, but you do have to work harder and be more creative. Stear clear of opening weekends and bow hunt areas that are archery only during gun season. You will have the woods entirely to your self. I have also used a canoe to get back in the woods farther than most are able to go. Just get creative and enjoy the time outdoors. Im still waiting for an opportunity to get on private land, but until then ill be out on public land having a great time.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Last year was my fist year hunting in OK. We moved to Tulsa in August. Killed the biggest deer of my life, a real nice 11 point on public land here in late November. There were a lot of deer on that piece of property. I was fortunate to get in on a lease this year but I promise you I will be back on the public ground spot at least a few times in November.

by all means, pics of said buck please. i started a thread about public land bucks on here a year or so ago. check out the nice deer we have on public ground.
264magnum laid out some nice pics as well as some of the other guys.I'll track down the post and freshin it up a little.

garret01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to go out today and look at some public land around trhis area to see what it looks like.

bowhunter34. How did this turn out? I'm going to hunt OK WMA's for the first time this year during rifle season. I too live in Tulsa. I'm leaning toward Candy Creek.

Latest posts

Top Bottom