Looking to buy my first press...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I started on a Lee 4-hole turret and still use it regularly for rifle reloads. For the money, they're hard to beat. I use the Lee scale to check my electronic scale, and the Lee powder measure that uses the discs works quite well. Lee's carbide dies are excellent values.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you are on your way.
Avoid the kitty litter though..some humidity or moisture and you get clumps of litter packed into the cases that ain't fun to remove.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input....with the kitty litter comment I'm assuming you can dry tumble?? I will stay away from kitty litter, and look into the square deal.. I have no intentions of loading rifles atm anyhow, however with that said with my tinkering mindset I may get really into loading and fear I will make a leap into rifle loads in the future and would hate to be stuck with a press I can't use for that...

I will have to weigh those two options for a bit...

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I reload .45 Acp on lee pro 1000 progressive pretty quick and easy. If you shoot a lot of volume and are doing just straight walled pistol a progressive is the way to go. Wish I could afford a Dillon but I can't justify the expense. For rifle I'm converting mil surp 5.56 brass to 300 AAC blackout. I do my work on batches on a RCBS rock chucker single stage. I like priming off the press now it seems more consistent and it's less of a hassle than messing with the priming station on the lee progressive. I'll polish all my brass. De-prime and size on the single stage then sit around and watch tv while I prime a batch of brass. The progressive then charges and seats my pistol ammo. I don't mess with crimping on the .45 ACP either. I'm only crimping on the blackout ammo to help improve case pressure for gas system function.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with the lee classic loader in 30-30.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/543039/lee-classic-loader-30-30-winchester

Great learning tool..and would work nicely in a bug out bag.
I later got one for 30-06 then one for .308..They all built better ammo than wally world remington and federal cheap box ammo.

I later got the lee classic cast iron single stage for $85 new and use it for all my rifle ammo, really like the way it primes also.
Better than the rockchucker I let my friend borrow/use.

You will get addicted and end up with all kinds of stuff.
You will quit buying powder in #1 bottles and just get #8's
You will not buy bullets in small batches either, you will want the same lot# and get 500 plus at a time.

Before you know it you will be covered up in stuff to make ammo and realize this is NOT saving me any money!
But you will shoot much much more.
Never put a pencil to it..

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes . . NEVER put a pencil to it.

I upgraded to a Lee Loadmaster. They don't get very good reviews and I can't recommend it to a reloader that I don't know or doesn't have a technical background, it's very fiddly. BUT once you get it going it makes good ammo. The Bullet feeder is not something I can recommend at all - I managed to get mine working, but I find it an exercise in patience.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lee does not have the worlds best instruction manuals, but they have excellent videos on their website. An extra turret, while nice, is not really necessary. Save a bit of time but it doesn't take long to unscrew one set and screw in the other. I like my Lee equipment, that's all I use. Is it the absolute best equipment out there? Probably not. But it will do the job, and do it well. Take your time, learn the feel, and don't force anything. If you need help we've got your back.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to high jack but it sounds like a turret is a good place to start. Looking to reload .308. Sounds like a turret fits the bill.

From 1,000 yards up range

Latest posts

Top Bottom