"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking "!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I smoked up to two packs a day for 41 years but successfully quit 8 years ago last month. I tried several ways but using the nicotine patch was the winner for me. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with COPD this year because of that smoking. I'm not on oxygen (yet) but have to take several medications and exercise daily to keep the airway open.

For those wishing to quit, you CAN do it. I found that the fear of quitting had a lot to do with my continued smoking and when I actually did quit that fear was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

You can do it 'ghostrider', I have faith in you :woohoo1::woohoo1:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I really didn't "want" to quit, but when I went in one day for my annual physical, my wife went with me because she was on vacation. She and the doctor ganged up on me. Doctor said he could help but what he had was an anti-depressant. I replied that the two of them were telling me to quit and that would depress anyone. So, he said, "Here's your prescription." It was for Wellbutrin and I was to start with x number a day and then taper down. Picked a date to quit that was about 2 to 3 weeks ahead, but it was also within the signs according to the Farmer's Almanac.

In addition to tapering on the Wellbutrin, I also tapered on the smoking by going longer each day or so between smokes. First 36 hours was pretty tough, but I did succeed. Smoked for 41 years, about half and half with cigarettes and pipes. That was back in 2003, and the only time I REALLY wanted the pipe was the day I had the cataract surgery on my first eye. Only on a rare occasion do I encounter someone smoking a pipe, and then I might have an urge.

Hang in there, as it will greatly benefit you in the long run.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I really didn't "want" to quit, but when I went in one day for my annual physical, my wife went with me because she was on vacation. She and the doctor ganged up on me. Doctor said he could help but what he had was an anti-depressant. I replied that the two of them were telling me to quit and that would depress anyone. So, he said, "Here's your prescription." It was for Wellbutrin and I was to start with x number a day and then taper down. Picked a date to quit that was about 2 to 3 weeks ahead, but it was also within the signs according to the Farmer's Almanac.

In addition to tapering on the Wellbutrin, I also tapered on the smoking by going longer each day or so between smokes. First 36 hours was pretty tough, but I did succeed. Smoked for 41 years, about half and half with cigarettes and pipes. That was back in 2003, and the only time I REALLY wanted the pipe was the day I had the cataract surgery on my first eye. Only on a rare occasion do I encounter someone smoking a pipe, and then I might have an urge.

Hang in there, as it will greatly benefit you in the long run.

First time I quit for any amount of time I did the same without the script. I just asked my self "why are you smoking this cigarette? Is it because you want it or do you really need it right now?" Over 2 or 3 weeks I had tapered off pretty drastically doing this. One day I went into the break room at work and bought a pack out of the machine. Went back to work, opened the pack and asked myself that question and put the cigarette back in. I carried that full pack of smokes for about 2 weeks before I gave it to my wife. You have to be diligent if you really want to quit but it IS possible.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Some of you mentioned wanting to quit. Its a crutch really to deal with stress and I don't want to gain weight, lol!

OK, I've never smoked but I have had friends who did and they ALL, to the man (oddly enough they have all been men who were ... like me ... a bit on the "backside" as they say) said the trick for them was staying busy. Dan, especially, had a hard time ... he started doing jigsaw puzzles because he said he was eating too many of those little snack-sized Snickers bars ... I'd help him go out to his shop when the weather was cooler and he could breathe better (he had COPD from years of smoking) but he HAD to keep his hands busy some way and those were the 2 ways he chose to do it.

He didn't smoke for several years but started back when he was diagnosed with terminal kidney cancer. Said it didn't matter anyway now so he wasn't gonna worry about cigarettes or ice cream anymore ... He was a mess. I miss him.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know, they should ban addictive substances, it will definitely solve the problem.

Well, for me a ban on smokes wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. Not a bit. Probably even breathe easier because of it. Inhale all you want just don't exhale that crap in the air the rest of us are trying to breathe.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Started when I was 13, quit when I was 30 believing if I could live without Olivia Newton John I could live without cigarettes and I quit cold turkey. I started again at 39 thinking if I could smoke a few and not crave more, I was good to go. 17 years later, mainlining on pipe tobacco, suffering heart trouble, I figured I could live better without smoking than without a heart and I quit cold turkey again.

The benefits have been multitudinous. I had forgotten just how good food can be. I can run a hundred yards(not a dash, mind you!)and not collapse or gasp for air.

Do I miss having a bowl of Captain Black Royal now and then? Yes. Will I ever partake again? Maybe on my death bed for old time sake and just to hear the doctors tell me how that stuff can kill you once more.

Woody

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I smoked 2-3 packs a day for 25 years.Quit cold turkey, without too much problem.Started dipping Copenhagen and that was much harder to quit than cigarettes for me.I drank back when I smoked and realized I was spending 20-25 dollars a day on bourbon and cigarettes,on the weekends 2 or 3 times that if I went to a bar.Quit in 2000 and have bought 3 new cars and a lot of ammo instead of cigarettes and bourbon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom