LR 308 Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobshain

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot on what is the best type of ammo for long distances to use with my LR 308 made by panther arms. I removed the front sight and put in a low profile gas block and do not plan on putting a bi pod on the barrel as it could effect long distances. I've been debating between Federal ammo and Hornady ammo as both have been recorded with under a 2" spread. I'm curious if anyone else had any ideas on the best type of ammo before I have to go out and test out 6 different types of ammo.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you not attach a bipod to the forearm?

As for ammo, I've had good luck with pretty much anything. I like the Black Hills 168 grain. Others had had really good luck with Federal Gold Medal Match. I shot a .69 inch group with Remington Core-lokt's from Walmart.

jacobshain

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can but it's the basic DPMS hand guard on it so it will require a drill and to put a little dooby on it. I'm drawing a blank as to what it's called, I plan on doing it anyways but for a sling. I do alot of tree stand hunting so a Bi-pod would only weight the front end down to begin with.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I can but it's the basic DPMS hand guard on it so it will require a drill and to put a little dooby on it. I'm drawing a blank as to what it's called, I plan on doing it anyways but for a sling. I do alot of tree stand hunting so a Bi-pod would only weight the front end down to begin with.

I don't believe you will need a drill. Take the hand guard apart, slip the piece inside and put the hand guard back together. It will fit right thru the hole and the hand guards will hold it snug.

If you're using factory ammo mine shot the best with Remington premium 168 BTHP. It didn't like Federal or black hills. I've since changed barrels and it likes most anything I feed it now.

Reaction score
If you reload, a tuned handload with a 155 Scenar (or possibly a 208 A-Max or 175 SMK). If you don't, then you should start. But yeah, Fed Gold Medal Match 168s is pretty good, if sticking to factory, in my understanding, in most guns.

I shot a .69 inch group with Remington Core-lokt's from Walmart.

Core-Lokt bullets are loaded both into the economy Express ammo, as well as one sub-line of their more consistent Premier ammo - I'm assuming you mean the Express? Either way, it's impressive, but more so with the Express.

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the zombie Max

i1067.photobucket.com_albums_u433_djcorrell_IMAG0217.jpg

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Black hills match is good long range target ammo. Hand loads are the best plus you get more options. I like a Berger 168gn vld. But just try several different brands and weights and see what works best. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom