M-4 Designed .22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobshain

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a nice little .22 that is in the M-4 design. I've thought it over and decided that I didn't an AR-15 Converted over to a .22 caliber but just a .22 caliber it's self. I was curious if anyone has had experiences with these designs and how well you believe they preformed. I'm looking forward to your guy's responses. I know Colt makes one but I'm looking for the best bang for the buck with this type of rifle.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stayed away from the Colt (Umarex) version because it doesn't have functions like the AR15, one I remember is the bolt catch lever is non-functional, just there for looks. I think there were other things I read about too.

I ended up getting the S&W M&P 15-22. Functions are basically the same as my AR and it is a blast to shoot. They also have several models out now to choose from. Mine is an earlier model, I wish I had the threaded barrel w/ flash hider but it was not available when I got mine. The S&W is nearly all polymer including the lower and quad rails.

Also CMMG has come out with a dedecated .22 platform, might be worth checking out.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those seem awful high? S&W is running around $400 last time I checked, I paid $380 for mine. Is there something special about these that make them more reliable or accurate?

differences listed at that link

I haven't held that one yet but the mp15-22 I shot just felt more like a toy and cheaper than I expected.

I agree for a dedicated 22 AR it is more than I would like to see it at as well

Crowmosly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smith and CMMG for the .22's... They're both pretty good... Since the Colt's don't have a bolt release... It's kinda dumb imo... It's kinda built to train... and since it's not the same as the real thing... yeah... Plus I've heard they pretty much won't function. I think they may have fixed it for the most part though. If it doesn't have to be an AR than the Sig 522 I've heard is excellent. Nice fit & finish.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the S&W 15-22 and liked it. I have the Ruger SR22 now and love it. It will eat anything you put in it. I have looked at the CMMG and I like it, but I have not had a chance to shoot one yet. I have looked at the Chiappa 22 upper. It will fit on your stock lower. They are $300 for the upper.

jacobshain

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've looked at the Ruger a few times but had a lot of questions with it. The size is a little smaller than I liked but definitely workable. I was curious as to how cheap extra mags for it are.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those seem awful high? S&W is running around $400 last time I checked, I paid $380 for mine. Is there something special about these that make them more reliable or accurate?

The difference is that the CMMG has a lifetime warranty, nitrite treated barrel, and unlike the Colt and the S&W you can Remove the upper and put an 5.56 upper if you choose too. It is set up to emulate Mil. Spec. with the correct twist for the 22LR.

I hope this helps.

And it retails for $549. for the basic model.

Latest posts

Top Bottom