Meat Smokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those with the Big Green Egg, do you have any complaints? Feel restricted in any way? What size do you have?

I've looked into these, but seem to find nothing but glowing reviews. My 30th birthday is this summer and the wife wants to do something special. I'm thinking I might ask Santa for a new cooker this summer.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have an Egg, but have talked to a couple that do... nothing but raves for them.

There are now a few knockoffs on the market, like at Lowe's and such, but don't know if they perform as well.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have an Egg, but have talked to a couple that do... nothing but raves for them.

There are now a few knockoffs on the market, like at Lowe's and such, but don't know if they perform as well.

I don't know what Lowe's carries, but I know of the Grill Dome which is the same ceramic style cooker. It seems to get good reveiws, too, but a large 18" grill is $50 more than the Green Egg and many people say the Green Egg outperforms it, but that could just be fanboyism.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those with the Big Green Egg, do you have any complaints? Feel restricted in any way? What size do you have?

I've looked into these, but seem to find nothing but glowing reviews. My 30th birthday is this summer and the wife wants to do something special. I'm thinking I might ask Santa for a new cooker this summer.

I did some pretty extensive googling when I bought my Cookshack and didn't find a single negative word uttered that I can remember. I went with the Cookshack primarily because it was made in OK and it was an electric set it and forget it sort of thing. But I still want a BGE and probably will buy one of these knock offs pretty soon just to grill steaks and burgers on. I can't do that with my Cookshack and charcoal just tastes so much better than gas.

bureau602

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at the Big Gree Egg for at least ten years before talking myself into buying one. I should have bought it ten years ago. It is simple once you get used to it, literally set it and walk away. It does have limitations due to its size. I have a large and will cook one large brisket or two pork butts. I can cook ten ribeyes at a time without issues. You can always buy the accessories to add levels to the cooking area. You will not regret buying one.

daugbl5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Best Rub I have found hands down is Bad Byrons Butt Rub.
I have managed to avoid any chaifing.
Seriously though it is great on everything I have used it on.

aabokla

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I've had my BGE for two years now and have no compliants. They are a little hard to find in a store...but strange as it may sound they are sold in pool supply stores here in Tulsa. The smoker uses lump charcoal and I've had very positive results using the BGE brand. The grocery store sells Rodeo lump, but it doesn't seem to get as hot as the BGE brand. The smoker in general is vey fuel efficient.

If you've never cooked with lump charcoal before...it's so much nice than the clay briquettes. To clean the BGE after cooking, just open all the vents, close the lid, and make sure it has charcoal. The egg will get somewhere between 700-900 degrees hot and leave any residue a powdered ash. Not alot of ash, just a little.

The last thing i'll add, is that even when I have guest over and they request a very well done steak or burger, the meat still comes out incredibly juicy. I've read that it has something to do with the way the egg cooks.

S

siglady

Ok what the best Rub?

If you are in to making your own rub...I make what is called a Memphis Rub. It's a dry rub and is soooooo good. We rub it mostly on beef (best ever on brisket) and smoked ribs and pork shoulders. However, when we want a quick bite of hot and spicy, I slice jalapenoes (leaving in seeds), sprinkle with Memphis Rub, and fry single layer about 4-5minutes in a 1/2 inch of hot oil. Oh my, you'll like these. (These MR jalapenoes are different from our regular fried jalapenoes that our dog, Fred, is wild about.)
Here is the Memphis Rub:
1/4 cup paprika
1 tblsp packed dark brown sugar
1 tablsp granulated sugar
2 tsps salt
2 tsps Lawry's Seasoned Salt (no msg)
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 to 3 tsps cayenne pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Mix all ingredients together and store in jar with an airtight lid for up to 6 months (it won't last that long). Makes about 1/2 cup. I always double the recipe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom