Roll Your Own…..Smokes That Is!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was in college I was, as most kids were, usually broke.

Yes, a pack was like 50 cents back then (late '70s), but it might as well been $5. I got tired of that and went to the local convince store and bought a can of Prince Albert and some rolling papers. It was crazy cheap. Other guys started doing the same.

Yes, I quit back in the early '90s.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recently met a fellow in Mustang Ok. Heavy smoker that has a pretty impressive roll your own setup.

I gave up smoking 25 years or so ago, thank goodness. They are really expensive now.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the tobacco that you get at most smoke shops isnt really cigarette tobacco but pipe tobacco and thats what i have been using for years, i get it in 5# bags for $56 and it will do 8 to 10 cartons. I order it online and its shipped to my door.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@rickm I’m sure I could do better, this was really just a trial run to see if Mama would like it and how big a pain it would be for me to roll them. Couldn’t find the receipt to know just what each item cost me. 🤦🏼‍♂️

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@rickm I’m sure I could do better, this was really just a trial run to see if Mama would like it and how big a pain it would be for me to roll them. Couldn’t find the receipt to know just what each item cost me. 🤦🏼‍♂️
I get my tobacco and tubes from here https://www.bnbtobacco.com/ and use the Top-O-Matic T2 rolling machine i have tried others over the years but settled on this one for the last 6 years just have to replace the cutter once a year. I understand its not for everyone but it does save some $ if you allow yourself the time to do it.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Winstons.... eckkk. There was a lady that worked for an Oilfield company in El Reno I used to deliver to. That's what she smoked in her office. I'd have to put on my jacket when going in because that nasty smell would get in my uniform.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quit smoking in 1975. Free smokes in our K rations and .10 a pack in the PX. When getting out, just couldn't afford to continue the habit at .35 a pack.
I remember my dad buying some machine to roll his own. He smoked lucky strikes unfiltered.

DDriller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I roll cigs for my wife. Got tired of the cheap rollers and bought an electronic automatic roller that puts the same load of tobacco in every cigarette. Put a tube on the end, push a button, and have a cigarette fall off the end. Can roll her a carton in about an hour and all are very consistent, almost like a store bought. Cost is about $15 a carton. I don't count the cost of the machine as it is much like reloading equipment. 😅

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I could be amongst the rest of you guys in this matter. I have smoked for around 60 years now. They were cheap back then. I can remember a 3 day weekend while I was in AIT at Ft Devens, Mass. when a couple of buddies and I were going to go camping in a nearby state park. We stopped at a restaurant and had breakfast. When I finished I got out my pack and realized that I only had 1 left and had forgotten to bring another pack. So, I walked over to the cigarette machine and saw that they were 50 cents a pack. I said that I would die and go to hell, before I paid 50 cents for a pack of smokes. Have quit hundreds of times, but there is something about that 2nd day.
Started rolling my own, when they went to $5. Today I pay an average of 3 to 3.50.
Now if I could ever get past that 2nd day of not smoking, lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom