Medical reasons to not make DST permanent?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm. So, pretty much everyone agrees that the time changes are bad, but is it possible that making Daylight Saving Time the permanent time choice the wrong decision? The doctors at the American Association of Sleep Medicine thinks so.

Here's the abstract from their position paper ( )
The last several years have seen intense debate about the issue of transitioning between standard and daylight saving time. In the United States, the annual advance to daylight saving time in spring, and fall back to standard time in autumn, is required by law (although some exceptions are allowed under the statute). An abundance of accumulated evidence indicates that the acute transition from standard time to daylight saving time incurs significant public health and safety risks, including increased risk of adverse cardiovascular events, mood disorders, and motor vehicle crashes. Although chronic effects of remaining in daylight saving time year-round have not been well studied, daylight saving time is less aligned with human circadian biology—which, due to the impacts of the delayed natural light/dark cycle on human activity, could result in circadian misalignment, which has been associated in some studies with increased cardiovascular disease risk, metabolic syndrome and other health risks. It is, therefore, the position of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine that these seasonal time changes should be abolished in favor of a fixed, national, year-round standard time.
The full paper:
https://jcsm.aasm.org/doi/10.5664/jcsm.8780
Here's Dr. Zubin Damania explaining it:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read it as they want to abolish the time change, and just go with one fixed standard. When mentioning DST, they are using it to refer to the change from standard time. The seasonal time change is what they are against.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read it as they want to abolish the time change, and just go with one fixed standard. When mentioning DST, they are using it to refer to the change from standard time. The seasonal time change is what they are against.
Which "they" do you mean? If it's the AASM, they're in favor of ditching the time changes, but they think making DST permanent is the wrong choice; their position is that Standard time is better aligned with our circadian rhythms.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It'll be a nightmare for older digital devices that are no longer supported. Last time the rules change I remember having to edit a bunch of timezone files for Linux, others just were broken or set to UT.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of things he said that I don't agree with. He talks about the photo period that is the same. It's not. As the sun and the earth rotate during the seasons the days get naturally longer and shorter depending on what part of the planet you live on.
In Alaska, there are periods in the summer where there is only one hour of darkness.
I do agree with him that it can affect the sleep cycles. Wife has been having serious issues getting adjusted to this new time as she has for years, but every day after the change she is adjusting.
Me, after one day it doesn't make any difference. Traveled so much crossing so many time zones that after one day or two I'm good.
Actually prefer the daylight longer in the evening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom