Mosin Issues???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a Mosin in the group buy, cleaned it up real good took it to the range, fired one round and the bolt jammed shut... couldn't get it open by hand. I thought I put something together wrong, under lubricated or that I didn't clean it well enough. So I took it home smacked the arm of the bolt with the handle of a screwdriver to knock it open, cleaned everything again, lubricated generously, worked the bolt MANY times and assembly appears to be correct. I went to the range today, fired one round same result :-(

Anybody else run into anything like this? The fellas I was shooting with suggested the the ammo as a potential issue, so I'm going to try a better quality ammo just for the sake of trying - but I have my doubts because a lot of other people shoot the same stuff with no issues. Any words of advice would be appreciated.

rmark

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it surplus ammo? Some of it will stick in the chamber, I had a similar problem with a mosin I had a few years ago - but I've forgotten which ammo was the problem.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive never had this problem with my mosin.others have experienced the "sticking bolt" and some say it sticks so hard they have to bring a hammer to the range!i don't know how to fix the problem but if this is it than it is a fairly common issue.i would suggest going on the google and looking up more about it.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, you weren't kidding about it being common - it's ALL over the place. Apparently dirty chamber and/or bore is the most common issue so I guess I'll pick up some bore bright or a bore cleaning compound and give the chamber/bore a deep cleaning. I ran across a pretty good 2 partvideo about cleaning it up and smoothing it out on youtube, thought I'd share in case anyone else is fighting with this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXC_PQkLkNA

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very informative. You gonna do the polish job. I would like to know how it comes out.
Ill be cleaning my two up soon...(trying to keep them hidden...one is for my sons birthday...boy wont he be surprised)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Poor rifling...

It's for the chamber, not the bore. If you have sticking fired cases and no signs of excessive pressure, you probably need to do something with the chamber. It may be heavily fouled, or it may be rough or pitted. Some deep cleaning and light polishing can work wonders. FWIW, Mosins are notorious for this issue.

Phat Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lot of the time there is still cosmo in the chamber! like the other person said brush and lots of cleaning. it will get baked in there if you shot it a lot! then it's a bugger to clean.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only fired it twice, the bolt froze shut both times. I don't have the patience to fool with it right now. When the weather is ugly this winter I'll tinker with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom