My Two new Rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First up is my AMD-65, this thing is pretty stinkin sweet, I cannot wait to get it out to the range here real soon.

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings__DSC0403.jpg

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings__DSC0402.jpg

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings__DSC0401.jpg

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings__DSC0400.jpg

Now for the AK-74, I will tell you guys just based on pulling this rifle apart to clean it up and strip the bolt and carrier down, I will not buy another I.O. Inc rifle. I figured I would take a chance based on the fact that they were getting more positive reviews lately, and although I have no doubt that the rifle will function there were and are issues I have with the craftsmanship of this "American" made AK.

First off when I picked up the rifle from SSP Saturday I noticed that the muzzle break had a decent amount of rust on it, and a couple of the rivets looked like a monkey with a hammer did them. When I got home and tore it down I looked down the barrel and it was "DIRTY", it seems that the factory fired out a bunch of corrosive ammo and didn't bother to clean the rifle, which then it sat at the factory or distributor and just rusted. It is all clean now and the rust has been removed, it was a minor issue but it's still shoddy in my opinion. I included a couple pics of the rivets.

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings__DSC0393.jpg

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings__DSC0395.jpg

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings__DSC0396.jpg

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings__DSC0397.jpg

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings__DSC0398.jpg

i1105.photobucket.com_albums_h351_Travis_Cummings__DSC0399.jpg

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the AMD is sweet! I might get one since they are cheap and i only hear good things about them. The 74 does look kinda fugly (especially the 4th picture) but i hope it shoots well.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my understanding it is not chrome lined but I'm not too sure after looking down it, need to get a bore light down it so I can tell for sure.

I will be changing the handguards over to the MI railed setup soon so we can put a red dot on it.

Last edited:

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the AMD is sweet! I might get one since they are cheap and i only hear good things about them. The 74 does look kinda fugly (especially the 4th picture) but i hope it shoots well.

The mag color is awful for the rifle with the handguards that are on it, but it was cheap and it doesn't wobble like the one they sent with it. The tapco mags don't wobble and the pro-mag they sent with it feels like it will fall out.... yea I won't use I.O. again.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get some real com block mags for the 74. Pro mags will break on you. The tapco are better but still all plastic. Try and get som real com block mags. They will last as long as the rifle

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice Travis! Can't wait to see your AMD after you trick her out. UltiMak, Red Dot, and Check Riser, anything else you gonna go with? I stippled my grips and that really improved the feel, they are too slick in stock form.

Just keep an eye on those rivets on your 74. Most likely won't ever have any problems with it, but if you notice any of them pulling apart further...you might want to test out that warranty.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting a houge grip on it, if it fits. Other than that I am just waiting on the Cheek Riser from AMD Tech, going to work on getting the UltimAK rail mounted this week, looks like it will take some modding and tinkering but shouldn't be too hard.

As far as the 74, that is the one thing I have heard is good about IO, their warranty is honored and rifles are replaced. Just wondering if they would have an issue with the fact that I stripped the carrier and bolt of the finish they put on it...

Latest posts

Top Bottom