Need a 4x4 ATV... any recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well I have a 2003 Honda Foreman Rubicon 500 4x4. It is a powerful machine got around in last winter we had with no problems at all. Use it for farm use with cows. Has High and low range speeds with 3 electronic shifting programs. ESP which is push button shifting and two different settings for performance and torque. The only bad thing I can say about it is that the 4x4. For some reason that model was 4 wheel only all the time. I don't mind it but if your going to use it for yard work if you turn sharp the tires will pull grass and tear up your yard being 4 wheel all the time. doesn't have independent rear suspension but still rides pretty dang smooth. but I have never had a problem with it and I find that even though it is 4 wheel all time it is not difficult to turn like many people warned me of. Also I bought it used for $2100 with like 2200 miles on it and less than 500 hours. My opinion is Honda or Yamaha. Heard of horror stories on polaris transmissions but again I never had one and they may be good And I don't know how the trans was treated to be horrible either. What helped with my decision was googling the models I liked and reading some reviews and the options they have and then finding them on craigslist to go look at.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned Polaris, Arctic Cat, and Honda. By far, if you want a durable long lasting atv, get a honda rancher. Polaris was the worst. Arctic Cat has it's positives, but it's not near as durable as the rancher. I personally would recommend NOT getting anything with a CVT transmission.

toe

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned Polaris, Arctic Cat, and Honda. By far, if you want a durable long lasting atv, get a honda rancher. Polaris was the worst. Arctic Cat has it's positives, but it's not near as durable as the rancher. I personally would recommend NOT getting anything with a CVT transmission.

toe

I've got a Sportsman 500 that basically just sits these days. Damned thing keeps knocking the carb off if its ridden on rough terrain. I also have an '05 Honda Rubicon and an '06 Rancher. Both 4x4's. I'll take the Rubicon any day over a Polaris.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, things moved faster than I thought they would today and I ended up with a Yamaha Wolverine. Spent quite a bit less than I was prepared to for a 4wd ATV, and I didn't see any bad write-ups when I was researching them. Seems to be pretty much what I was looking for too. Thanks everybody for the opinions!

Latest posts

Top Bottom