Need a car...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insurance with a commuter could actually be a savings.

What you are paying for her Explorer, full coverage vs not driven for work (must specify to Insurance company and adding commuter (liability only) could be less or at least, a wash.

My brother drove 56 miles, one way. His pick up got 17 mpg. He bought a 3 yo Honda Civic with 140k and got 46+ mpg.
Drove it 300k and got another 3yo Honda, kept repeating. His pickup lasted 20 years, was like new and had <100k. Savings on insurance and gas paid for the commuter cars.

More involved in cost, than just gas.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha! I commute about 220 miles per day round trip in a 2019 F250 gasser 6.2L. Company pays for the fuel but Im supposed to claim person miles. Personal miles include my commute to and from work. I claim about 400 miles per month of personal. Hope they don't decide to check/audit my travels. :bolt: I don't recommend an F250 for a commuter vehicle.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. Yeah, it's not just about saving on gas. She wants to keep the miles off of her car as well, because she doesn't think she'll ever buy another brand new ride, for a long, long time.

For the record ,she doesn't own an Explorer. It's a 2017 GMC Acadia.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where is the GSA auction in OKC? I looked at the GSA website and nothing is listed in Oklahoma at all.
Terry, GSA in OKC has no sales at the moment, one has to just continue to watch the site. But I'd bet if you call they'd tell you when the next sale date might be..

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure you meant 52 MPG not the MPH you posted but it got me googling to find out what year your car was.
And how many miles have your Accents lasted?
Any issues with transmissions or engines at all?
I assume the 1.6 4 cylinder engine.
@Osage1978
With an accent, he might mean mph. My ex-wife had one 50 mph with a headwind was hard to do. On the plus side, you could not kill it. 300,000 + miles when she sold it.

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Terry, GSA in OKC has no sales at the moment, one has to just continue to watch the site. But I'd bet if you call they'd tell you when the next sale date might be..
Dealers auto auction SW 12 and Portland OKC You can look it up that way, you can get a sale list. Good luck.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He makes a valid point. Here is my mileage log numbers from my 21 Ford Explorer XLT. 28,000 miles so far and haven’t spent the $5,000 yet.

Plus the additional insurance and maintenance costs you gotta deal with on a second (or fifth) vehicle.
What app is that

Latest posts

Top Bottom