Need help finding a stevens/savage part.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Feels like it has been a couple years back now; My friend told me to keep an eye out for a cheap 22, and I picked up an old Stevens 87E semi-auto tube feed 22 from one of our members on here for 80 dollars.

The gun is old and had seen a full life, I replaced the extractor, cleaned it real well, replaced the end nut on the receiver. and put new screws in the trigger guard.
He shot it a few times and it jammed; cleared it and tried again and it ran away with a few round burst then jammed again.

I found that the firing pin was worn so badly on the top where it was meant to impact the top of the extractor piece for a stop, that it instead was ramming the firing pin up under it and causing it to jam up the receiver, and stab the casings.

Tried to fix the firing pin with a stick welder and a bench grinder; and only succeeded in melting the damn thing in half.

So I started looking for a new firing pin; Found that it supposedly is compatible with the savage 85E / 187E / H models. but only found two parts catalogs online that even mention such firing pin. Wisner and numrich. numrich simply says its out of stock on the site, and when i call wisner they say they are currently out of stock but are going to be making some and to check back in 3-4 months... I have been checking with them every couple of months for the last 2 years it seems they are not real serious about making this part.....
I want to get my buddies gun working, that or figure out a way to get some value of out it towards a functional cheap 22.

here is a link to a breakdown schematic of the rifle, part number 50 is the firing pin, if the old picture is any help putting an i.d. on what kind of firing pin we are talking about.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...0502/87RifleSeries-39863/87E-34291.htm?page=3

the gun is cheap cheap and probably not even worth the effort to continue looking for or making this part. but if anyone has any leads on a pin that might work i would appreciate it.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I have made a few of these, they are not to be found and must be made by hand.
I charge $60 to make and fit this firing pin.
Watch my web site to see when we are open again.

SoonerCowboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a model 87a and here is one of the only places I could find when I was looking for parts. I hope they have what you need.

http://www.gun-parts.com/savagerifle/

I'll be taking mine out to shoot for the very first time on Saturday. I inherited it from my grandfather but never took it out to shoot. When I tore it down for cleaning I found that it probably hadnt been cleaned in forever. The rear bolt threads were rusted so bad I just about couldn't get it off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom