Never shot competition.. First comp recommendation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of comp do you suggest to someone who has never shot competition?

Are you talking handgun, rifle or shotgun?

If handgun, give IDPA a try. 9mm or larger, strong side holster, two mag pouches off side (you can get started reloading from a pocket though), and 3 magazines.

Oil Capital Rod & Gun Club will be holding one near you on Sat the 25th at 10AM.

Check here for details: http://www.ocrgc.org/

G Law

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Steel Challenge would be good for a first time competitor. It is just pure shooting. Stand and shoot 5 steel plates, 5 times in a row and throw out the worst of the 5 runs. There are 6 different stages so you shoot about 150 rds. No reloading or running, just stand and shoot. You can use a rimfire or centerfire handgun. Come on out. USSA range on the first Sunday of the month.
G

Matthew77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say a pistol match. Helps keep the confusion down and lets you learn the rules/safety aspect.

May I suggest to also listen...listen...listen. Don't worry about being competitive your first time out. Just get into how things function and the rest will follow.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GetCet out to a Steel challenge match at Oil Capital or USSA in Tulsa as they probably the most basic pistol match because there are only 5 targets/stage and minimal body movement from target to target. It will get you ready for IDPA which ads movement but limited # if rounds. Then IPSC/USPSA is next with all types of movement and up to 30+ rounds/stage.
If you have an AR and a good pistol. You should think about the 2gun practical rifle match at Oil Capital. It is a great way to actually use your AR for something other than plinking. Of course you could always dive in head first and go straight to 3 gun which will make all the rest boring.
There are also iCore matches and SASS available if you have revolvers and cowboy long guns. PM me for match info. I don't attend everyone but I know when they are.
There is a ProAm match at USSA Saturday. You're welcome to come out and run my gun for a stage.
Welcome to the sickness!

Latest posts

Top Bottom