New Source for Lead Shot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A buddy and I were out in the shotgun range shot fall area at OKCGC while it was being mowed last week. I’m guessing there may be 2 bags of lead shot that ants have gathered up.

123_1.jpeg

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s crazy!

I believe shot gets deformed when fired so it might not be suitable to reload as shot the way it is. However it could definitely be melted down and cast into whatever

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know! I guess it depends what it hit. If it just flew then fell to the ground it probably is good huh..
Just going down the barrel is going to deform the shot some but a little deformation certainly isn’t going to matter when shooting clay birds. Used to buy mine at a range that had big backstops in the distance for the shot to hit and fall to the ground. They didn’t allow any steel shot, only lead from 7.5-9. I’ve sent hundreds of pounds down the barrel and seriously doubt I ever missed a bird because of the shot. And at 55% the price of nice new, round shot I felt I could tolerate a little inconsistency.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just going down the barrel is going to deform the shot some but a little deformation certainly isn’t going to matter when shooting clay birds. Used to buy mine at a range that had big backstops in the distance for the shot to hit and fall to the ground. They didn’t allow any steel shot, only lead from 7.5-9. I’ve sent hundreds of pounds down the barrel and seriously doubt I ever missed a bird because of the shot. And at 55% the price of nice new, round shot I felt I could tolerate a little inconsistency.
Guy here in Ponca sold reclaimed shot for years.
They would clean it, then heat it up to the point of almost melting which rounded off the sharp edges making them less deformed.
I’ve broken a lot of clay birds using the reclaimed shot.
Pretty sure there is still a couple bags in the shop.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
shot stays in the shot cup in the barrel or am I wrong.
I have found shot in birds and rabbit and squirrel and it is always round.
I do not think it will get too messed up.

I wonder if you took all that ant piled up shot if they would replace it with more shot.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
shot stays in the shot cup in the barrel or am I wrong.
I have found shot in birds and rabbit and squirrel and it is always round.
I do not think it will get too messed up.

I wonder if you took all that ant piled up shot if they would replace it with more shot.
I think the answer is “yes”. We had a similar ant pile, same area, 5 or 6 years ago. We did a lead reclamation project in the shot fall area and removed the lead shot. The ants have now built a new mound of lead shot.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would take that pile and load it. IF you got really concerned, screen it and seperate the sizes. Probably 7 1/2, 8 and 9 make up the majority; but there is 6s, maybe even 5s and 4s in there, too.
Very little deformation and nothing that will matter to clay birds or cowboy shooting.
I would be hesitant to hunt any game, unless the 8s and 9s were seperated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom